Safari address bar picking up keywords in site like firefox..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by musio, Jun 12, 2009.

1. musio macrumors 68020

musio

It's a little hard to explain..

in firefox, if you type two words in the URL bar, it will pickup the site. For example, my firefox will list every url i've been to in order of popularity if type mac - (it will show macrumours, apple, 9to5mac, etc)

if i type mac on safari it will list all url's beginning with the word mac.

How do i get safari to behave like firefox? You can see the benefits of firefox as getting to a url you don't quite remember is easy. Thanks!

2. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I've found no way to get "spotlight search" into the Safari address bar. Sometimes it's very handy. E.g. when wanting to revisit a imdb page, you just type in a word from a movie title or the name of an actor.

3. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

that's a great way to describe this threas spotlight search for safari..how do i edit the title..

Has anyone found any plugins for safari that do this?

4. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I know it is not the answer you are looking for, but my advise, just stick with Firefox, it is much superior to safari. People are complaining about the CPU load and some speed issues (which i have not noticed), but the new firefox will fix these.

Just remember, in the old days people always used to say: if safari is a batman, then Firefox is a superman :D

5. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

thanks for the answer but safari 4 is like lightning and works really fast. I really don't like the FF scrolling on mac..it's really sluggish. I'd really like to use safari!

6. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

That's one of the things I've decided to give up in order to have Safari's speed. I really liked the keyword search capacity of FF, but it's just so much slower than Safari that I can't do it anymore.

And now that Safari 4 has fixed some of the compatibility issues that I experienced with certain websites, I'm even more convinced.

7. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

thing is, i'm quite sure the beta of safari 4 did this and its' been taken out for the RC for safari 4.

8. Jisuo macrumors 6502

It never did for me during beta.

9. svndmvn Guest

keywurl is a plugin, it worked with the beta and there's a fix for it to work with final 4, but it's not exacly what you are looking for, check it out anyway..

10. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

thanks but it unfortunately you have to program each keyword in

what i'd like is for safari to spotlight the browser history

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

firefox 3.5 is quite good at pixel scrolling and speed. give it a try when its out, its in RC now.

12. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

You could just use Spotlight ;)

I looked at an article about an iPhone App called Brushes a few weeks back. So, I hit Command+Space and start typing brushes, and there's the site I visited 3 weeks ago.

I still agree that integration into Safari (without searching your history) would be sweet.

13. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

14. surfm macrumors newbie

are there some updates regarding this feature? any new plugins that support "spotlight" search in the address bar?