Safari address window drop-down question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arkrause, Apr 4, 2007.

1. arkrause macrumors newbie

When I begin to type a new address in the destination window, a drop-down menu of previously visited sites appears below the window. How do I get rid of those site addresses and prevent this from occurring?

2. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

well, if the addresses are those of pages you have bookmarked, they will be in that list no matter what.

i use the Private Browsing option in Safari...it doesn't keep things like search terms, addresses, and it doesn't autofill information. it doesn't enter addresses into the history, either.

private browsing works great, IMO, but you have to choose it every time you start Safari. hope this helps.

3. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

what he is talking about is Previously typed url's in the url bar. those can be erased my clearing out history and resetting safari. most of those are apple default url's and those will always be there.

4. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

we're talking about the same thing here...previously typed addresses will be stored in the address bar unless you clear the cache, or choose to use private browsing.

FYI, the apple-specific URL's can be removed...they're in the bookmarks folder and can be deleted.

5. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

i know that, i was saying if you just do a reset and delete the history that the default url's will be there.

6. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

ok, so to clarify for the OP:

- if you only delete history/reset safari, you will still have your bookmarks bar URL's in the drop-down list under the address bar.

- by editing your bookmarks bar, you can get rid of any default URL's and add whichever URL's you'd like.

- if a URL is in your bookmarks bar, it will always be stored in the drop-down list below the address bar.

- if you don't want any and every URL you type to be in the address bar drop-down list, "private browsing" should be activated when you launch safari; otherwise reset safari before you close the program to ensure that only your bookmarked URL's will appear in the drop-down list beneath the address bar when safari is relaunched.

got it? :)