Safari affecting unmounting of drives

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jennisunshine, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Jennisunshine macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the apple family and I have a leopard running on a shiny macbook pro.... But I seem to have a problem with safari :(

I used to notice that I cannot eject my external hard drive (unmount) every once in a while because it will say it is in use. Then eventually I discovered that if I quit safari and then try unmount, it works file. now the problem seems to have extended a little, before, I could run vmware fusion using the bootcamp paritition at anytime, but now, it will say resource busy, which somehow means it couldn't unmount the windows parition to start windows, once again, quitting safari then starting windows through fusion works each time.

Is there something in safari that uses these "external" parititions that I just don't know about?

Thank you guys so much for reading and for any help you might be able to provide~~

Jenn

2. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

that's interesting. I get an unable to mount message often when using external HD. Usually I overcome it it by quitting software applications, but sometimes it is because the external HD is being indexed by spotlight.
    Otherwise I restart finder and my macbook appears to forget what it was doing and allows the drive to unount.

Have never tried quitting safari though. Interested to find out next time so thanks for the alert...

3. Jennisunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I used to try to quit everything too but I have since then figured out it's only Safari that's affecting it because quitting (only) safari lets me unmount everytime. But I still don't understand how that could be the case...