Safari AJAX Support

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iPhisch, Apr 14, 2011.

1. iPhisch macrumors 6502

Hi,
    My wife is an insurance agent with Farmers Insurance, and her entire quoting system is browser based. She is really wanting to get a MacBook Air for her work computer, but the quote system doesn't work with Safari. Every time she logs in and attempts to access the quote system, this box pops up:

[​IMG]

I have not been able to figure out how to get past this in safari (or firefox, or chrome). Farmers says they will only support IE and Windows. Can anybody please help us with this? She wants an Air so bad, but doesn't want to buy one and have to solely use Bootcamp all damn day long. Help help help!
    Thanks,
    :apple:andy

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

every modern browser supports Ajax. if they say that it only supports IE then it might just be showing that message as the system doesnt work on other browsers.

some web developers are ignorant like that and only develop for IE, especially in enterprise.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I've had success in the past with installing ies4osx (now known as WineBottler) when I needed quick access to IE on a Mac (and incidentally, ies4linux). This is based on Wine and gives a packaged way of installing certain Windows apps. It won't work if the website needs to e.g. install ActiveX controls.

4. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

Definitely a problem with the site developer, not Safari.

5. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

She can install Parallels (or VMware Fusion) and run Windows in a virtual machine.

It's hard to believe that there are still IE-only web sites in 2011.

6. vanvalkinburgh macrumors newbie

Or better use virtualbox, it's free. You just need a windows license.

7. iPhisch thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm also goi g to try to evoke the IE settings using Develop setting in safari. I'll post an update tomorrow. The vmware/parallels isn't an option, already shot down. We aren't going to buy her a mac to have her run windows 100% of the work day. I'll check out the ies4osx, too.

8. iPhisch thread starter macrumors 6502

No dice on all options. This site just doesn't work on anything but IE. I tried chrome and firefox (mac and windows). Nothing. I actually found an old dmg of IE 5 and it mostly loaded the site, but it took like 3 minutes to load the page (it's PowerPC software) and a lot of it was jumbled. JavaScript has been enabled since day one, so it's not that. Looks like we're stuck with a windows pc for a while for her. Boooooo! Unless MS makes IE for mac again someday??????

Also, I also tried WineBottler with IE8 and really couldn't get that to work properly either. Too many hoops to jump through for my wife to open a website that she has to use all day long.