Safari already crashed on me

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Frankied22, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I had two tabs open: macrumors forums and the verge forums. I was browsing the verge forums and BAM! App crashed and cleared.

DERP

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Was there a point or question you wanted to make? :confused:

3. Frankied22 thread starter macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Yea

1) I find it funny that two tabs crashed safari on my brand new iPad.
    2) The Verge website is horrible to load

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I don't think it had anything to do with the number of sites. Many people here have already reported being able to have many sites open without issue.

It is likely something in the site that confused Safari. Try other sites and see if you cam open 5 or 10.

5. noles200 macrumors member

I've had as many as 6 tabs open in Safari with no crashes. Maybe they just were just simple sites compared to what you were looking at but MacRumors was one of them. It's always open. :apple::D:D:D:D:apple:

6. noobinator macrumors 601

7. ZipZap macrumors 601

8. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Honestly though, Safari is sometimes slow. Even when there are only two or three tabs open, it can get bogged down. In general (meaning on the Mac too, and especially on the iPhone) Safari is really cumbersome to use.

9. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Website developers and their stupid JS mem loops can cause problems. Apple needs to reinvent the internet lol. We need some standards. :D:apple:

10. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

theverge takes a while to load even on a computer, too much content/flash on the very first page i guess

11. Frankied22 thread starter macrumors 68000

Frankied22

This is definitely what it is. They need to optimize their site or make an app like Engadget. The full blown site is just riddled with stuff running in the background. It does take awhile to load on my MBP too.

12. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

if you want a far more stable web browser in ios5.x, then ditch Safari and get one of the other browser apps such as atomic or icab.

the new ipad with Safari is going to crash just as much as it would if you were on an ipad1 or ipad2 running iOS5.1 and Safari.

13. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

The iPad is much improved, but theverge is a horribly designed website, and I can believe it. Hundreds of requests and 3 to 5 MB just for one page load. And then you click on a story, and it,s one very short paragraph half the time. It won't play nice unless you have a big fat pipe and a regular computer. It's a shame since they do summarize what's going on in the tech world pretty well.

14. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I disagree with that, although iCab is a great browser but the problems with safari and iPad 1 was due to the lack of memory.

15. distemp macrumors regular

This thread is interesting, because I came to Macrumors just now specifically to post about how much better Safari is on the new iPad. I used to strictly keep to two tabs because anything more would cause pages to constantly need to reload whilst switching between them. Right now I have five open with no reloading in sight :cool:

16. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

My site is about 4-5MB per page but it loads quickly due to JS advancements and also G caching. Most problems online are caused by shoddy web developers who may have their servers infected with various viruses, bad code, or even subversive code. The problem is that there is no existing standard so those of us who do have standards, try to keep everything updated so everything is compliant to... you guessed it. Webkit. Safari is based on webkit as well as most other devices since 2000. There are good websites out there and then there are crap websites out there. We just need to use the good ones more so the bad ones get less hits. Thank you Google.

17. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

nope, ipad1 users still on ios4 with the old Safari didn't expereince the same crash frequency as they did after upgrading to v5. moreover, ipad2 owners have regularly posted about Safari errors with iOS5 despite having 512MB RAM and it's not going to surprise me that ipad3 owners will see the same instability despite having 4x the ram of the ipad1.

after he upgraded his ipad2 to iOS5, my brother-in-law got frequent crashes in Safari...sometimes multiple times per day. he never had that on 4.3.3 [i suggested to him to try atomic but i haven't spoken to him in a while to know if he did or not]

i haven't had one browser crash since i upgraded to iOS5. guess what browser i'm *not* using.

disagree all you want...real world usage by many owners says otherwise.

----------

reloading is not the same as the browser crashing. obviously, ipad2 and ipad3 owners, who have more system RAM, will experience less reload delays when multiple tabs are opened.

18. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Because of this, I find myself using reader mode on theverge a lot.

19. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

This is a really cool story, and we all know how much everyone loves cool stories.

20. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Not sure about you, but the 16GB I own hasn't crashed at all yet on Safari, I am browsing with 2 tabs right now. Had it at 4 last night with Youtube open, no crashes or anything what so ever.

21. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I had the same crashes with iCab as I did with Safari.
    But yes it got worse under iOS 5 but I heard that iOS 5.1 fixed that.
    I had my iPad 1 jailbroken and kept an eye on the memory and you could see this clearly when going to content heavy websites.
    The iPad 1 went from 80+ Mb to below 9 in seconds and crashed, so yes it was a memory problem.

22. distemp macrumors regular

Oh, I definitely know that it's not the same thing...it was just interesting to me that I came to the forum to post about how good it was working for me, only to find a post about how unhappy a user was about its performance.