Safari Alternatives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 06Honda, Apr 23, 2015.

1. 06Honda, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

06Honda macrumors regular

I am using a 13" MacBook Pro on Snow Leopard with Safari 5.1.10 and this seems to be the last available update for the browser. Some of my regular visited web sites like google maps; flickr etc and updated an no longer support this ver for full use as before. Are there any other alternative browser ver that would work on my system to give me better use and viewing. Not sure if updating to a newer OS is possible with my system, see screen shot. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Firefox/Chrome both work fine on Snow Leopard. I primarily use Firefox on my MBA running Snow Leopard.

3. 06Honda thread starter macrumors regular

I'll give FireFox a go, thanks. When downloading FireFox are there any any addons or other things that change your search engine default etc than can come with some downloads these days.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

No. Just mount the .dmg and copy it to your Applications folder.

5. 06Honda thread starter macrumors regular

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You should be able to update to mavericks or Yosemite...

7. vladobizik, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

vladobizik macrumors 6502

It seems you have an early 2011 MacBook Pro. It can run the latest version of OS X (Yosemite) just fine. Unless you have a very specific reason to keep using an obsolete OS (and I know there may be people on the edge of their seat ready to correct me on the definition of "obsolete"), do yourself a favor and upgrade - you will get lots of new features, more security, ability to run up-to-date software and eye candy.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I missed this part of your post, yes you can update to Yosemite or Mavericks.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Maybe not Mavericks. As I understand it, it's no longer available for download from Apple.

10. 06Honda thread starter macrumors regular

11. campyguy macrumors 68030

One more decent browser to try out is OmniWeb, still in development, and OS X from Day 1. The current stable version still works with Tiger and newer...

https://www.omnigroup.com/more/

I do use Fluid, a site-specific browser, which works on Snow Leopard and newer.

12. 06Honda thread starter macrumors regular

Firefox is working nicely, like this browser.