Safari always freezing wont open anymore!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by waloshin, Jan 15, 2012.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

2. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

How do I reset Safari?

3. jstntch macrumors newbie

To reset Safari, click on Safari in the bar on the top of the webpage and select "Reset Safari..." I would also recommend emptying the cache as well.

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

This.

5. simsaladimbamba

Why uninstall Firefox? I have four browsers installed on my Macs and they are happy together, except Chrome, as it is the abandoned child.

Not really possible, if it does not open. But you could try to delete the .PLIST file in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / com.apple.safari.plist and see, if that works.

How should that work, if Safari does not open or does not respond?

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

lol. He got you there.

7. eric/ Guest

eric/

Just seems redundant to have more than one Internet browser installed, and it's possible that the programs are conflicting with each other. I honestly can't understand the reason for having more than one unless you're a developer or you need it for something specific, which most people don't.

OH hey guess I'm going to use Firefox today.

Nah I think I'll use Chrome.

Oh I'm going to use Safari and IE at the SAME TIME.

i just don't get it.

You could also try deleting the Safari application, then redownloading it from apple. I'm not sure if you can delete Safari since I've never tried. Or call Apple customer support if you're still in your warranty window.

8. simsaladimbamba

That may be, but some people have different needs than others, even outside of developing websites.
    I use Safari as my main browser, though I try Opera from time to time, but I can't get back to it since using Safari, even when the mouse gestures rule.
    I use Aurora (Firefox 11) for one website, which doesn't store the login data, thus Aurora is simpler, as Safari doesn't fill fields automatically.
    And in the rare occasion, a website doesn't work in one browser, I can try it in another.

But I guess, I am just a special case. Though there will be lots of other special cases, where more than one browser is actually useful.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

if Safari is in your dock, hold control and option and click on safari and see if you have a Force Quit option, this might kick it out of the not responding state and you might be able to than open it again

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Because Safari uses iCloud and syncs beautifully via the cloud it's all I use now.

OP shut down BOINC when trying to solve crashing issues.

11. eric/ Guest

eric/

Yeah, I just don't feel that is a good enough justification to install more than one browser. I have nothing against Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc.... But then again I've never ran into any problems with Safari on my Mac, also never ran into any problems with Firefox on my W7 machine.

eh. To each their own. I'll just never get it.

Also maybe the OP could do a repair permissions.