Safari always starts on power up

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MisterTac406, Mar 14, 2012.

1. MisterTac406 macrumors newbie

Hey All,

New here, but frequent reader.

I can't seem to get this little problem ironed out. Whenever I boot my MacBook Pro Aug 2009 13", Safari starts up and goes to my homepage.

I have it disabled in TinkerTool, and also in the General settings for resume.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much

KE

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

system prefs, users & groups, login items. delete it from the login item list...

3. MisterTac406 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the response. It does not show up there for me. Please see pic. Would it be worth adding then removing it?

Attached Files:

4. MisterTac406 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check the first 3 items on the following list: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

Also, if you're running Lion, make sure you've quit Safari before you shut down and UNcheck the following box when shutting down or restarting:
    [​IMG]
    Disable Mac OS X Lion Resume & App Window Restore Completely

Also, I recommend you get rid of AppCleaner and AppTrap, as you don't need them. In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

7. natd1993, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012

natd1993 macrumors regular

natd1993

Also make sure that the option to 'Open at Login' is unchecked in Safari's double click menu.

[​IMG]

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not. If it was, it would show up in the list in post #3.

9. MisterTac406, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

MisterTac406 thread starter macrumors newbie

@GGJstudios:

I am running Lion, I always make sure I "quit" everything except finder before I shutdown. I never notice that prompt when I go to shutdown, maybe because I have quit all apps prior?

I have looked at the 3 things you suggest in your guide (kudos btw). The first you can see in the picture I posted in a prior post, and the other 3 I'll put pics on here for as I'm not sure what some of these services are...especially this start up Protec6b one.

Lastly, that box is unchecked in Sys Pref > General as you've suggested.

Thanks for your post!

@iisforiphone, yes I'm sure to quit all apps prior to shutdown.

@natd1993, that option is unchecked, thank you!

Attached Files:

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, I recommend you completely uninstall Virus Barrier. You don't need it. You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

The ProTec6b folder is related to photography-related software from onOne Software. If you don't use it, uninstall it. If you do use it, but not frequently, remove that folder from your startup items.

11. MisterTac406 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply GGJ. That VB software expires in a few days and I won't renew it, but will uninstall it.

I have some OnOne stuff that came free with a purchase of Photoshop CS5, but I think I'll remove it. Any suggestions on what I should do with the other two folders?

Thanks so much!

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should be able to remove the following with no problems:
    com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist
    com.hp.devicemonitor.plist
    com.divx.agent.postinstall.plist
    com.google.keystone.agent.plist​

13. MisterTac406 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, Thanks a lot! I deleted all of these as you suggested. I also deleted Integro and all of it's plist files in the 3 locations you shed light on, as well as the ProTec6b folder.

However, I'm still having the issue with Safari popping up every single time I restart/power on, regardless if I have it open, quit it, or have it unchecked in all the locations we talked about in this thread. I even tried to change the default browser to Firefox!

I think it's hopeless :eek:

14. Fluffnstuf macrumors newbie

I too am having a similar issue. All the things mentioned here are set properly yet each time I log into Lion, Safari launches. Even stranger is the fact that if I look at my history, it always goes back to the middle of May 2012. I have deleted my history each and every time too. Until last week, it not only launched Safari automatically but took the it too a site I checked back then. I do not have this site set as my home page nor do I have it bookmarked so it is particularly confusing. Last week it stopped taking me to that site but still launches Safari but no browser window is shown.

15. MisterTac406 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you use Quicksilver? I had found that Quicksilver was trying to auto launch Safari too.