Safari and battery consumption

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Labhras, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Labhras macrumors regular

Hi all - until recently I had no problems with Safari, but since the last update - I'm on Mavericks - it's always listed under "apps consuming significant energy". Even if I disable plugins and I have only a empty tab open, it's still listed as consuming energy.
    I have tried to search for the problem but it's been inconclusive - what could be the cause in your opinion?
    Could bookmarks be one? (Though I don't think so - have never heard of a case like that).

Thanks for your help.

2. Buggyflayer macrumors regular

Have you tried Resetting Safari? You should find the option to do so under Safari/Preferences in Mavericks

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Do you actually have a problem? Or is Safari simply the app that's most often open?

4. dmitrivich macrumors member

Not trying to be a smartass, but if the computer is on, something has to consume the most energy. If you mainly spend your time browsing the web on Safari, it's going to show up at the top of the list.

Has your battery life decreased? Occasionally you'll get a process running awry on Safari; restarting the computer usually fixes it.

5. Labhras thread starter macrumors regular

It's one of the apps that are most often open - but I've noticed a change in behaviour in the last weeks after the update. Before it would only show as energy-consumer after a considerable amount of tabs open, now it shows even with 5 or 6.

The laptop is a year old, and battery health has decreased to 96% - by the way, do you think it's normal? - and I've noticed an apparent shorter battery life when Safari is open.

6. g33k macrumors member

g33k

I haven't had any problems with using Safari. At least you aren't using Chrome.. Chrome will destroy Mac's.