Safari and Compatibility With Explorer Web Site

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Solcous, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Solcous macrumors newbie

I can connect to the site, but when I click on a listen button, the message 404 Cannot connect, web site not found, is returned.

Also tried using Firefox and received the same message.

Connected with a PC and Internet Explorer.

Go to: http://www.knct.org and click on the speaker under the "Listen Live" banner to duplicate this.

Note: pop-up blocker is off when trying to listen.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Do you have Flip4Mac installed on your computer to handle Windows Media streams?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I presume that you mean that you connect successfully with Windows running Internet Explorer? If the station is streaming Windows Media, then it must be streaming Windows Media 10 or Windows Media 11. For me, it looks back to the home page which I press "Listen Live."

An aside: It is irresponsible for a website to force users to disable popup blocking.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, I went one step farther... if you option click it or open it in Firefox, it opens a blank page, but if you view it, it seems that it uses ActiveX components to view. Which means that, outside of a slim possibility of using the ancient IE for Mac, you're out of luck. And they should be sorely ashamed for using this technology in 2007.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I suppose I should have mentioned in my post that it works fine for me on Safari 3 if I disable the pop-up blocker.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ooh, it didn't for me the first time, but it does now. Disregard my comments about ActiveX.... :eek:

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Correct you are.

I will repeat my previous aside: It is irresponsible for a website to force users to disable pop-up blocking.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Especially "smart" pop-up blocking. Safari is very good about letting appropriate pop-ups through.

9. Solcous thread starter macrumors newbie

Safari & Windows optimized radio site

Both Flip4Mac and WMP are available. Safari version: 3.0.3 (522.12.1). Block Pop-up Windows is checked.

The following is a quote from the owner of the site:

"I really tried with my staff and the conclusion --TOO COSTLY...IF IT WERE WITHIN REASON - I WOULD HAVE PICKED UP THE TAB....PLEASE STAY IN TOUCH. However I DO HAVE APPLE USERS GETTING ALL OF MY 6 RADIO STATIONS, NEWER ONES OF THE PAST 6 MONTHS."

The last sentence is puzzling?? What does "newer ones" mean?

I have an iMac with 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, and OX 10.4.10

Any help would be very much appreciated.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not sure if you understood the implication of WildCowboy's comment, but if you disable pop-up blocking right before you navigate to that site, it should work fine. You can then turn it back on after the pop-up is generated. Annoying, but it should solve your problem.

11. Solcous thread starter macrumors newbie

mkrishnan:

Thanks for your suggestion. However, i tried every iteration of pop-off blocking, still can't connect.

Strange that some machines can connect! Wonder if Leopard would help??

Any other suggestions??