Safari and default seach engine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by parajba, Mar 6, 2010.

1. parajba macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2008

I used the search engine but I couldn't find an answer..surely it's a common issue...?

How do I change the default search engine from to in Safari? I googled it but it turns out that I need to edit the safari package file?!? Surely there must be something easier than that...?

Thanks heaps
  2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

Apr 21, 2007
    White Mntns, Arizona
    Easiest way to achieve this is to simply install the Glims plugin for Safari. It adds a section in Safari's preferences where you can change the search engine, among adding many other features.
  3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

May 22, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    I found it curious that Leopard came with a Yahoo! bookmark in Safari's bookmarks bar, and a Google search box in its toolbar. I use the bookmark.
  4. polliwog macrumors member

Mar 26, 2009
    Is there not another way to do this, than installing some 3rd party software? Opera has the option to where it's so easy to do it. I need to do it because I'm in China and google has now redirected google to go to and I hate that site, it's in Chinese so the search results are as well. I need it to only use or Is it at all possible without installing some 3rd party app?
  5. Arrandale macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2010
    No, because I believe Apple and Google have a contract to impose Google upon Safari users.