Safari and Facebook woes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MoodyM, Jan 8, 2009.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

It seems every few minutes while browsing Facebook I get kicked out and taken back to the login screen. I can be, say, browsing my own photos, clicking Next each time I want to move to the next one, then all of a sudden I click it, and bang, back to the login page. Or maybe I'm click on a friend's profile - it'll take me to their public profile page, because it's just logged me out - I have to login again to see their profile.

It's driving me to distraction, it worked fine for months and in the last few weeks this problem has started. I've emailed Facebook support and more or less got told to sod off (they reckoned that since their records showed that I'd successfully logged in since I first reported the issue to them, that everything must be fine now).

The reason I post here about it is that I have the Facebook app on my iPhone, and it never kicks me out, and I can browse it using my girlfriend's Vista laptop and it never kicks me out. This only happens on my Mac (10.5.6)/Safari (3.2.1). I've installed Camino and Firefox on my iMac and Facebook works perfectly with both. It can't be my Facebook account since it works fine on those other 2 devices, and it can't be my net connection as the other 2 devices share the same connection as my Mac.

I've tried emptying/deleting all Safari cache/privacy data, and I've tried removing all entries from my Keychain relating to Facebook, and I've tried deleting/re-creating my Facebook bookmarks, all to no avail. I've also tried deleting my com.apple.safari.plist file, and tried reinstalling Safari from the OX X Install CD, and I've tried Safari's Reset option, all to no avail.

Please help, as it really is making Facebook unusable for me. And please don't advise me to just stick with Camino/Firefox/OmniWeb, I really don't want to, I want to use Safari.

Does anyone know how I can maybe downgrade to an older version of Safari so I can maybe try that?

Thank you.

2. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Turn private browsing off. (Safari>Private Browsing)

3. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

It's already off (that is, when I went to Safari > Private Browsing, it asked if I wanted to turn it on, so it must have been off)

4. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

have a gf by any chance that knows your password? or someone else that knows your pass and is logged in your account?

The problem your having is, that your logged in and browsing and then someone logs in under your name.. and thats why it kicks you out. Try changing your pass and see if it keeps happening

5. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I'll try changing the password, but like I said previously I had Firefox and Camino installed today and both let me browse Facebook perfectly without ever logging me out. it's ony in Safari I get this problem.

I actually just tried turning Private Browsing ON and it *seems* to be working for some strange reason (but obviously that ain't ideal)

EDIT: As soon as I turn Private Browsing back off, it all goes pear-shaped again! Arrghhh!