Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
1. Since installing Tiger ( I did a clean install) safari just locks up when I try to access gmail. I have no idea why or what to try to fix this. Tried deleting plist file for safari, it didnt help.

So this led me to go ahead and start using firefox, which I have used on my PC since it came out, on my mac. Which leads me to question 2.

2. How do I set Firefox to be my overall defauly browser for anything web related. I find that when i click links that are in applications outside of firefox, safari launches and the page loads in safari.

TIA.

peace

armandocerna

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2004
Chico, CA
You can set the default browser in the safari preferences. Click on Safari right next to the blue apple in the top left hand corner of the screen and go to safari preferences. Then change the default webbrowser to Firefox from Safari

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
1. I have no idea. I access gmail using Mail... :)

omagosh me too!!! *flails like an idiot*

i hope they keep free POP happening for a while.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
For #1, my Safari 2 works for GMail (although I too typically access it via Mail.app :rolleyes:). So there's hope, yet.... What plug-ins do you have installed for Safari?

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
I'm not at home at the moment, but i'm not sure what, if any plugins i've installed for safari. I cant imagine what the problem would be. I have been using mail.app to access gmail as well since this began when I installed tiger.

What ones might i need?

As for setting firefox as defualt, thanks for telling me how.

Any more ideas?

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
well I dont have any plugins installed for safari, I just realized, I mean this is a clean install so there shouldnt be any issues but here I am weeks later, after 10.4.1 update now, and everything, I am contemplating a reinstall of tiger just to see if it fixes my Safari/gmail issue. Its the ONLY problem i've had since upgrading to tiger and it just erks me to no end that there is this one issue.
BLAST!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Once again, I go to access gmail in safari and as its loading the page i just get beachballed and safari is "not responding" according to forcequit.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I accessed GMail through Safari yesterday, before upgrading to 10.4.1, and again now 2 minutes ago, just to check. No problems what so ever.

Have you tried to clear cache (Safari menu -> Clear Cache (option-cmd-E)), history (History menu -> Clear History) and cookies (Safari preferences -> Security -> Show Cookies -> Remove All) from Safari?

The simples way to do ALL of these, of course, is to just use Reset Safari... from the Safari menu, but note that this also clears all username/passwords you have saved:
Safari Help said:
Resetting Safari clears the history, empties the cache, clears the Downloads window, and removes all cookies. It also removes any saved user names and passwords or other AutoFill data and clears Google search entries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.