Safari and Firefox both crashing - Please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeremy6044, Jan 20, 2008.

1. jeremy6044 macrumors regular

I have a brand new macbook and I've noticed something very strange. When I get to certain pages and click on a specific button or link, my web browser crashes and has to restart. I think this has happened for both Firefox and Safari and I don't understand why. Plus, it's not random. I was trying to download Stuffit expander and after filling in my name and info in their form I would press the button to continue to get to the download and each time I pressed that button my browser closed. Now it just happened when pressing a link on another page, too. It happened once, my browser crashed. I tried it again and my browser crashed again. So it doesn't happen randomly, it's only with certain links.

Does anyone know why this happens??? Is it some mac os x problem??

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

can you post a link and describe the how to repeat the problem?

3. elmo151 Guest

we need details.
    is it both browsers?
    which pages? post the URL and someone can confirm if it's the web site or you

not a necessary bit of software. Ialways have trouble with their website

4. jeremy6044 thread starter macrumors regular

how do you open .sit files without stuffit expander???

anyway, here are the two websites....

http://defamer.com

(in firefox i tried to click on the gizmodo link at the bottom and firefox crashed. this happened two times in a row.)

also...

http://my.smithmicro.com/mac/stuffitexpander/download.html

after putting in my info and clicking submit, my browser crashed. this was about a week ago and i believe that i tried using both firefox and safari, and neither worked. in fact, i think that i switched from using safari exclusively to using firefox because i thought it was mainly a safari problem.

another problem, unrelated to this one but still involving browsers, is that whenever i log on to yahoo mail, the login page keeps reloading and i have to press the stop button so i can input my login info. this happens in firefox and safari and even in firefox on a windows machine. that has to be a yahoo mail problem, but it's been going on for month now. wtf, is all i have to say. all these websites are having problems with my web browsers.

5. Samanthae macrumors newbie

I tried the defamer site to the gizmodo link on a MacBook (15 inch) and had no problem. However I have had crashes with both browsers also I just didn't notice it happening on any specific pages. Seems to be random for me. But they tend to happen on the same days then no problems at all for a while.

6. jeremy6044 thread starter macrumors regular

well, maybe it's a temporary thing. just strange that i could reproduce it happening with the same link.