Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cvance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Ok so I just switched from PC to Mac and I downloaded Firefox along with Fasterfox and iMacros. Neither one of them seem to help I tried to use the ethernet cable plugged straight into the computer, and it doesnt help.

Do you all have any sugestions?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
When you say it's slow with the "the ethernet cable plugged straight into the computer" does that mean you're usually on wireless? Did you disable wireless after connecting the cable?

There are some things to try to see where there's a problem. Go to http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest and see if you're getting the expected download speeds. Try with wireless and with wired (disabling wireless) connections.

If you're getting the same issues with wireless and wired connections, it's unlikely to be a computer problem, rather something upstream in your router or ISP.

Open up /Applications/Utilities/Network Utility and select ping. Enter a website like http://www.yahoo.com and run the ping. What are the response time values like? Is there any packet loss? If you are getting slow responses or packet loss, try pinging your router. If there are issues pinging an external site but none pinging your router, it might be a temporary ISP problem.

If you don't have another computer, borrow one and see if it has the same problems.

You could also try setting your DNS servers manually to those from OpenDNS. Some people claim faster surfing with these instead of their ISPs servers.

cvance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Yeah I usually run wireless when I plugged the ethernet cable in i disalbe the wireless. I'll try the DNS settings thanks.

cvance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I didnt really test that but the Open Dns helped a lot its running faster than my pc now. thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.