Safari and Firefox Messing up a lot?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RyMan1607, Oct 21, 2008.

1. RyMan1607 macrumors newbie

So lately, whenever I try to go to some websites, whether I use Safari or Firefox the program freezes. For example, I try to check fantasy football and it'll freeze. And for all websites I have to be sure to let everything load before I click anything or it'll freeze. I can't even get on ESPN.com or it'll freeze before the page even loads and I have to use Force Quit every time. Any idea about what the deal is? Thanks for any help.

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

This is what you should do:

1. Download OnyX (a free maintenance utility).

2. Open OnyX and Click Cancel on these two Alert Panel:

Cancel the S.M.A.R.T. Box
    and
    Cancel the Startup Volume Box

3. Enter your Password

4. Click on the Cleaning Tab

5. In each tab, execute the command. Check all the boxes in each tab. When it finished in that tab, it will ask you to reboot. Say NO. Go on to the next tab and repeat until all tabs are done. THEN REBOOT.

3. mikeM247 macrumors member

Perhaps a =related= issue??

Will your suggestion work for me? Here's =my= issue: I have been tortured with opening iTunes-related emails using my Firefox 3.0.3 browser. Whenever I attempt opening such an email (usually coming from "Apple Hot News") it FLOODS the top of the screen with empty tabs, marching across the screen(!), forcing me to quit FF, or manually turn off the iMAC. This is not an issue with Safari or any other browser, ONLY with FF! I posted on a mozilla forum, and am hoping for an answer *somewhere*. I prefer using FF, and iTunes is the only website which causes this insane reaction on my browser.

4. mikeM247 macrumors member

a =related= issue??

My apologies if this post shows up TWICE. I hit the back button, and assume the previous posting got wiped out. My issue is only with the combo of iTunes and Firefox. When i get an email from "Apple Hot News", and it directs me to a link taking me to iTunes, upon clicking on the link, the screen FLOODS with empty tabs on top and becomes completely non-functional, forcing me to quit FF immediately, or turn off the iMAC manually. Incredibly annoying. Does not happen with Safari, but I prefer using FF. iTunes is the only website that causes this insane reaction on the part of the FF 3.0.3 browser. Any and all suggestions most definitely appreciated. Thanks!

5. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Yeah it sounds like my suggestion won't work. That appears to be a bigger problem than I had expected. Sorry, hopefully someone else can help you.

6. mikeM247 macrumors member

Thanks. I'm going to repost this one in a new thread, so more people might see it and maybe somebody will know what the solution is. I went to my local MAC store right after this issue started, but of course i couldn't bring in the DESKTOP for them to see, and they were really clueless as to what the problem could be. Their only comment was, it's probably a FIREFOX issue. *Wonderful*. :( I tried uninstalling and reinstalling FF, didn't make any difference at all. Tried some other things too, like taking the iTunes cookie out of the system, but nothing has changed or solved the problem. :confused: