Safari and iTunes Wont Load Anymore After Beer Spill

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rkarkar, Apr 26, 2009.

1. rkarkar macrumors newbie

So dont ask me how but a beer spilt on my laptop keyboard (ibook g4). Afterwards, I quickly tilted it over and then removed the keyboard and dried it with a blow dryer. I later noticed that the computer shut down by itself bc I dont recall turning it off. Anyway, I got a little impatient/curious after an hour and restarted it. Not the smartest i know. It worked and I ran iTunes and played some music for my guests and then also was surfing the net a little. All was fine. Well we all went outside for a little and when I came back 20 minutes later, the computer had gone into sleep mode but wouldnt respond to keyboard presses so I shut it off for the rest of the night.

Fortunately this morning, the computer turned on fine. However, some of my Mac applications are not working, so far I know that Safari, iTunes and iChat arent opening but iPhoto and Quicktime are. I think all my other non-Mac apps work fine...So then I tried redownloading iTunes but that didnt work either. I also tried opening a song from my Finder and it wouldnt open in iTunes. Basically the icon loads on the bottom of the screen for a split second and then stops. I have the original software so I guess I could reinstall it but I was wondering if someone knew an easier way?

I feel pretty fortunate that my cpu works and at least I can use another browser/music player. Could have been much worse. Not to mention I can always get a new keyboard. Suggestions??

2. kolax macrumors G3

Maybe iTunes and Safari are still a bit wet. Try the hair dryer on them too.

Try trashing their .pref files, maybe got corrupted during the accident.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ LOL, the first line of the above post is hilarious. What did you expect? Just try trashing their .plist files like the above poster suggested.

4. rkarkar thread starter macrumors newbie

yes rather funny i agree. almost had me for a second...

so how exactly do i do this? I've found a lot of different .plist files and not sure which folders to go into.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Quit iTunes and delete the com.apple.iTunes.plist from "Users/Your Home Folder/Library/Preferences".

6. rkarkar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but it doesnt seem to change anything. I tried it for both Safari and iTunes. Other options?