Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisgpix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New Zealand
Does anyone know why Safari and Mail vanish from the dock after putting them in only seconds before?...I've seen other threads on this one of which suggested it could be a syncing problem. However I can confirm it is not as I've disabled dock syncing.

Any help much appreciated as I'm looking at a system reinstall if i can't fix it!...I'm on 10.5.6 if that helps.

cheers

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
If you removed the icons from the dock, then they will only appear when you launch the program and disappear when you quit. If you want them to stay, launch the program and right click on the icon in the dock and select 'keep in dock'.

chrisgpix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New Zealand
Thanks for that...but unfortunately it doesn't cure it. As soon as you relaunch the dock they vanish into thin air again....its driving me nuts!

blehpunk

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
this is happening to me too since the last update, except it's Mail and iTunes for me. Safari stays put.

Reining Doc

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
Me too...

For me it is just the Mail app that will not stay in my dock on my MacPro, but does stay there on my MacBook. I've tried resetting my iSync, run different disk utilities and still no luck.....

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Try moving your com.apple.dock.plist out of Library/Preferences and restarting the dock. The quickest way of doing this is probably to open Terminal and typing:
Code:
mv ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist ~/.
killall Dock

If that works to keep your items in the dock, just go ahead and set up your dock the way it was earlier. Otherwise move com.apple.dock.plist back into Library/Preferences and someone else will have to think of something.

an0ma1y

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
Tried the Terminal fix... same deal. Tried it without Safari running first, the icon stayed for a couple seconds then disappeared just like dragging to the Dock would do. With Safari running, icon slides to the bottom and disappears when you quit.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Does anyone know why Safari and Mail vanish from the dock after putting them in only seconds before?...I've seen other threads on this one of which suggested it could be a syncing problem. However I can confirm it is not as I've disabled dock syncing.

Any help much appreciated as I'm looking at a system reinstall if i can't fix it!...I'm on 10.5.6 if that helps.

cheers

as random as this sounds, can you create a Guest Login or 2nd User... do whatever you would normally do, i.e. put Mail and Safari into the Dock run them, then quit them, then Kill the Dock via Terminal, see if it deletes them, because i have random bugs that appear on my Administrator Account (only got the one) but don't occur in my Guest Account... then disappear in my Main Account... weird lol, good luck

cwbrekke

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Mac mail icon

Here's what worked for me...

Drag the mail icon onto the desktop and authorize the change. Drag the icon from the desktop to the doc. Drag the remaining mail icon from the desktop back to your applications folder. Problem solved (at least for me!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.