Safari and now Firefox browser issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erickj, May 2, 2015.

1. erickj macrumors regular

Strange things started happening in Safari about a week ago. Pages wouldn't load all the way, sites would just stop when working, couldn't scroll down, couldn't click on links (they wouldn't register as a link), couldn't highlight to copy and paste, tabs wouldn't close, or the tabs would take upwards of 30 seconds to close after I clicked on the x to close them. Other things as well, but those are the major issues. It doesn't seem to happen all the time, just randomly. Will work for hours just fine, and then I have to shut it all down. I can't pinpoint a site or process that I'm using that's causing it.

I have used Bitdefeder and ClamXav to scan and see if I've got a bug, but nothing has turned up? I did a reset on Safari, cleared everything, but still hasn't helped at all.

I then tried to use Firefox (which I don't use at all) and it seems to be having the same issues. Page freezes, having to force close. I did import my bookmarks from Safari, but I don't know how that would have affected Firefox directly.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

2. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

Have you done a total shutdown and reboot of both computer and router?

3. erickj thread starter macrumors regular

I've rebooted the computer, yet, but never the router. Will look into that.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You've left out the always valuable, sometimes essential, basic troubleshooting information about your OS and the app you are having problems with: what version?

It might also be helpful to report what Mac you have. If you don't know the actual model ("build" is the term I believe) then at least the year you purchased it, if it was new.

5. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

Safari and Firefox have one big thing in common... Flash. Is your Flash up to date? The latest version is 17.0.0.169.