Safari and OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by asmith1802, Sep 3, 2011.

1. asmith1802 macrumors newbie

asmith1802

I have had a number of problems with Safari since upgrading to Lion. When moving between web pages using two finger swipe on the track pad, Safari will sometimes stop scrolling up and down. At the time this happens, quitting Safari becomes a problem - the quit option in the menu is greyed out and cannot be selected. I have to "right" click on the safari dock icon to quit, sometimes have to force quit from the main menu. A couple of times it has frozen and I have had to restart. Any ideas?

2. treestar macrumors 6502

Update to the latest versions of Lion and Safari. If you are still having problems maybe you can use Chrome until a new update comes out. Safari is stable for me right now on Lion 5.1/10.7.1.

3. maxswisher macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's definitely odd. It could have something to do with your hardware. Make sure it's all updated.

The problem with using chrome is that there's no gestures to go forwards and backwards between web pages, and there's no smooth zooming. If you can live with clicking the forward and back buttons, I would recommend just sticking with safari without using the gestures.

4. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

seriously who the hell uses safari? just get Chrome...

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Not everyone loves Chrome. It's extensions framework is flakey at best. Half the time when I click on one in the toolbar (1P for instance) the extension doesn't pop up. It doesn't matter who developed it either.

Safari 5.1 is actually pretty darn good.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

I use Safari and a lot of other people do too. Chrome is awful and has a really poor user experience. I downloaded it and after using it for a couple of days deleted as it was just wasted space on my hard drive. Safari is a far better browser.

7. Zcott macrumors 68020

Uh, me.

8. hayesk macrumors 65816

Me too. Chrome isn't all it's cracked up to be.

9. iJohnnyG macrumors member

My Safari on Lion is rubbish, complete and utter rubbish....

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Safari under Lion is a different build than under SL. I've had the similar problems with multi-touch and freezing. When it happens I press option, command, esc and force quit safarin then reopen and reuse. I don't think there's anything to do about it until an update comes out.

Until then, as others have suggested, try using a different browser. BTW it's always good to have another one installed to do trouble shooting whether you use it or not.

11. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Used Chrome for a few days than went back to Safari. We all have our own likes and dislikes. ;) :)

12. Cripps macrumors regular

I too use Safari happily :)