Safari and RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Silmarien, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Silmarien macrumors member

Ever since I updated from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2 I have noticed that Safari has been hogging so much RAM. For example right now, with only this tab opened, Safari uses 250MB and Safari web Content uses 1,03GB. There are times that I experience lag when moving/scrolling through applications until I quit and reopen Safari. Is there a way to maybe reinstall Safari or any other way to solve this?
    I have a mid-2012 2.3 MBP with 4GB of RAM.

2. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

I noticed this a while back after the Safari 5 release and just stopped using Safari altogether (not that I used it that much in the first place given its horrendous lack of privacy controls).

3. Silmarien thread starter macrumors member

Its true that there arent many privacy settings but I have worked around that. I really like using Safari cause of the gestures and the zooming. I tried Firefox for mac but didn't like it at all even compared to my old PC.

4. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

True that the Safari UI is more elegant than Firefox, and it's faster, but I haven't been able to find a privacy workaround that will even do a proper cookie whitelist (Safari Cookies and Cookie just erase the non-favorites on a scheduled basis) and I also haven't seen anything like Better Privacy or the Cookie Whitelist buttons for convenience.

What are you using to get satisfactory privacy?