Safari and Tabbed browsing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ksgant, Oct 30, 2007.

1. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Is there a way in Safari 3.0 (with Leopard) to make everything open in a new tab instead of opening a new window?

I have "Open links from applications" selected to make new tabs. And I have everything clicked in the "Tabs" preferences, but Safari still will open a link in a new window on some websites instead of a tab. Digg.com is a big one, go there and click on a link and it will open up a whole new window instead of a tab. If I want a tab I have to hold down command-click to open in a new tab. In Firefox, everything goes to a new tab no matter what...even if the website calls for opening a new window.

Is there anything like this in Safari?

2. barkins macrumors regular

barkins

I'm trying to find a work-around for this as well... anyone know? :confused:

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

4. crazycap macrumors member

nice program, but after I install it, my safari browser no longer recognized at "safari"
    i think the program somehow modified the http agent name to "Netscape"
    you can try it here: http://www.ex.ac.uk/webmatters/whichbrowser.htm
    it will report what browser you are currently using

the worst is i dont' really care about the browser's name, but the websites can't tell I am using a MAC now, and that causes problem with several sites I visit often

anybody knows how to solve it?

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, by clicking this in SafariStand settings

[​IMG]:

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Saft is another Safari add-on that has plenty of other features as well. You can turn AutoComplete on for every website, turn off download warnings, and prevent websites from bringing tabs to the front. It can do more stuff too. Its $12 I believe with a free trial available.

7. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

i have been wanting to use safari for the 4 years since i have been a mac convert but havent because of speed issues, bookmark issues and lastly not being able to open new tabs b double clicking your mouse, now big deal if you have a mouse with right click but when not using a mouse i dont want to have to use the dang keyboard to open a new tab.

well i now use safari most of time since it has gotten faster, i still dont like the bookmark setup, wish it was more like firefox but i cant believe you have to purchase third party software like saft in order to open a dang tab by clicking on the tab bar! i have to pay $10 to open a tab this way?! it drives me nuts why apple wont just add this feature. what is it one line of freakin' code? apple should just buy saft with the spare change that falls out of steven jobs pockets when they do his dry cleaning for him.

end of rant, bottom line, i like safari and want to use it all the time but they need to take care of this stupid little commission in their prime browser that represent their company. it should be their finest bit of software since it is the face of apple, not one with major holes in it...

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

This has nothing to do with SafariStand...Safari has always identified itself as such. See Apple's documentation:

You can enable Safari's "Debug" menu and use the "User Agent" to spoof different browsers...it works a good portion of the time when Safari won't be allowed past a browser check.

9. crazycap macrumors member

thanks for the tips !!

10. feyn-man macrumors regular

very agree with you. Just can't understand why this problem exist such a long time. I don't think it is a difficult problem to solve. It's just because apple don't want to change it. Really don't understand.

11. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

With this run on sentence it is hard to understand you, but you can click with the middle button of your mouse (the little ball in the Mighty Mouse) on a link and Safari opens it in a new tab. You may have to enable the scroll ball as a button from the system preferences. The middle click also works on the home button as well.

12. feyn-man macrumors regular

I know that.
    But I accaturally don't have to do that. What the design thought of a single button mouse is to do everything in simple way even don't need to move your finger. I think apple have the ability to realize it. But they don't try their best.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can make a "New Tab" button on your Bookmark Bar using SafariStand...just "Enable Bookmark Bar Action" and make a new bookmark that points to "action_message:newTab:".

Or you can hack Safari's "Add New Bookmark" button to become a "New Tab" button.

Agreed that it should be a built-in feature, but there are workarounds.

14. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Oh, OK, I see now. I never thought of that, but yeah, "double click for open link in new tab" would be nice.