Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I have been a mac owner for around 4 years now and have recently upgraded to the Imac Core Duo 2.66ghz with 4GB Ram and the Nvidia Geforce 9400.

My problem is I like to look at websites and research things whilst playing wow but since upgrading, anytime I put the game into windowed mode apple+m and try and open safari my system crawls to a halt and takes ages loading any web pages and makes navigating anything outside of wow a near impossibility.

I had the previous model Imac and this wasn't the case, I am using Snow Leopard and have updated my system, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Steds

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
While you wait for a patch, you can cap the framerate of WoW when it is in the background:

/console maxfpsbk Y

where Y equals the framerate you want to use. Try setting it around 20fps.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
It's true, capping the frame rate can really help you with lower-level systems. I have one of the new MacBook Pros with the 9400M integrated chip (which I believe is the same chip the iMac uses, although the clocking may be different) and it is a real dog for any kind of gaming, really crippling WoW, which is not even that demanding of a game. You have 4 GB of RAM, so I don't think that's the issue unless you're running a ton of other big apps at the same time.

While my WoW performance using that chip isn't great, I haven't noticed Safari grinding to a halt while WoW is in windowed mode either (something I do a lot), so that is odd. Maybe download Onyx or something similar and cleaning all your caches, prefs, etc. Does Firefox do the same?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.