Safari and Youtube videos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidra, Jun 29, 2017.

1. davidra macrumors 6502

On Foxfire posted Youtube videos play in place instead of opening a new tab. Is there any way to get Safari to do that?

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Could you please explain further? I don't quite understand what you mean. YouTube videos don't open new tabs on Safari as far as I'm concerned.

3. davidra, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017

davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

I've used Firefox for years. When a Youtube video is posted on Facebook (sorry, left that out...this is on Facebook) it will play in place in a small window on the page. On Safari it opens a new tab and goes to the Youtube page for that video. Sorry if it was confusing....actually the whole tab thing is a little confusing. There are some websites that will open a new page when clicking on a link within that domain...for example, Youtube. If I click on another video on a page on Youtube, it opens a new tab. I can keep that from happening by holding down the command button. This seems counterintuitive. It should only open in a new tab if I hold the button down....

4. macpanzer macrumors regular

What about your tabs settings in Safari?
    I don't use Facebook, but YouTube videos, when embedded on some other page, play in place and don't open a new tab.
    tabs.png

5. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

My settings are exactly like that. If I go to the main forum page and click on, for example, Mac Apps (this one), it opens in a new tab. That's not what I want. All I can say is that when I click on an embedded video on Facebook, a new tab opens on the Youtube page; it does not play in place.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2017 ---
    Solved. I had at some point installed LinkThing that was controlling my tabs. Sorry for the inconvenience....

6. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Now I don't know about Facebook, I don't really use it, but I can say that for this forum, I don't get that behaviour. It only opens a new tab, if I hold the cmd button as I click the link.
    Regarding Facebook specifically, as I said, I don't know about YouTube videos embedded on there, but videos uploaded directly to Facebook I do know play in place on my Safari.
    This is true for both my High Sierra and Sierra setups.

Have you got any extensions loaded in your browser?