Safari anomalies with Macbook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noiseordinance, Nov 22, 2012.

1. noiseordinance macrumors regular

I've been using a MBPr for 2-3 months now, and have had three replacements with the same exact issues in Safari:

• Blocks of data show up as missing / corrupt on many websites (Gmail, Amazon, eBay, etc)
    • Typing text into text fields shows delays / missing characters (and is literally occurring as I type this right now)
    • GIFs stutter while loading, and usually become smooth after fully loaded
    • Going back one page yields a blank white screen about 25% of the time

This website shows great examples of this: http://installingcats.com/2012/08/02/safari-6-macbook-pro-retina-mountain-lion-problems/

There are other communities that show the same occurance. The problems are so distracting that every minute or two of casual browsing yields some major amount of website display issue, and I'm forced to use Chrome. This is my third MBPr replacement with the exact same issues. I've tried PRAM resets, reinstallation of the OS, etc. My thoughts are that either Apple hasn't done much / any quality control of the MBPr using Safari, or I have a third party application that is somehow corrupting my Safari experience. These are the programs I'm running:

• Office 2011
    • Photoshop CS6
    • Cinch
    • GrowlVoice

I'm most skeptical of Office 2011 since it requires that Safari be shut down during installation. Perhaps a system file is getting corrupted during the installation? Does anyone have any recommendations about this? I'd really like to use Safari, as it is a much smoother experience than Google Chrome.

2. AirThis macrumors 6502a

I've never seen this. What revision of Office 2011 are you using?

3. unwinded macrumors regular

Apparently not enough rMBP owners use safari or something. Either that or they haven't encountered it or they haven't complained. Well some have complained. But those complaints are mostly unresolved.

I just made a topic about this exact same issue here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1506276

I read a suggestion to try a recent webkit build here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1502025

Which I'm going to try. Otherwise, this problem is going mostly unanswered and it has everything to do with graphics switching tech as well as being a software error. Not hardware, not a bad gnu, this is software. And people who even't seen it yet either are lucky or haven't used safari and don't know what to look fore.

4. Valkyre macrumors 6502

only once I had the typing thing occur to me in safari. Other than that I had no such problems with my experience working with Safari. Try webkit, although it is plagued with numerous small things due to the fact that it is an ongoing process. For example 2 days ago suddenly webkit couldnt play youtube videos on my machine. Next day they fixed it. (remember webkit is daily updated)

It also fixed the damned scroll lag.

5. unwinded macrumors regular

I'll give webkit a try. If it's fixed there, hopefully that means it will be fixed in the next safari update. Chrome works fine at least. I can duplicate it 100% of the time by putting the rMBP to sleep and then waking it. I also noticed it with the non-retina 15" MBP at the Apple Store. Saw somebody on the internet claim it happens on the 13" model. That only has an Intel 4000 in it, so if it really is occurring then it isn't related to graphics switching. Another person claims to have duplicated it on several Macs at their local Apple Store. This I don't doubt. Any Mac with an Intel 4000 in it is probably effected and most people either haven't noticed or it doesn't bother them (it really bothers me sometimes, especially when writing). It's a software glitch and probably not related just to Safari. I have a feeling the Windows Safari is fine. Nothing like this issue occurs in Windows.

Speaking of the Intel 4000, with certain color background like with Steam's forum for example (the grey color) there are teeny tiny flashing pixel lights. Barely noticeable unless you put your nose to the screen. If I tell gfxcardstatus to use the GPU, they go away. Since I just got my screen replaced due to image retention (also on certain grey colors) I thought it might be related to that. Turns out, it's a widespread Intel 4000 known-issue that effects PCs too and it isn't because the card is bad. Probably software, probably fixable. Not going to worry, I was just worried it was the screen. Just throwing that out there in case anybody else notices it