safari.app - new tabs on left side possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by feuerschlange, Dec 1, 2008.

1. feuerschlange macrumors regular

Is there a setting or tweak, that allows me, to have the newest tab, open on the left side, rather on the right side.

My newest tabs are always out of sight, when having open more than 20 tabs.
    They are burried in the stupid roll down selector, instead of being in easy reach and in sight in the tab bar.

2. G-Com macrumors regular

I don't know.

I do know Firefox's tabbed browsing system buries Safari's.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You can drag the tabs around. And Firefox is terrible at scrolling, and the tab system is not that great... unless you use add ons.

4. feuerschlange thread starter macrumors regular

New tabs must open on the left side - period.
    Old tabs can vanish in the stupid scroll down something, as they are less important.

I dont want to reorganize tabs - the system is wrong. New tabs come up in a place, you cannot see - that is wrong!

Switching to another browser is no option. I used Opera for a long time on Windows machine and on Mac and was sadisfied with the amount of tweaking and customizing possible.

Opera died on me, because quite often, it resists on top of active applications and made me minimizing it.

I am sadisfied with safari, except the slower loading, the tabs, the missing quick selection screen. The better integration and overall polished appearance of safari.app do win for me.

5. G-Com macrumors regular

I don't know of any app that will do what you want it to. Firefox has a great tabbed system which opens new stuff in an active tab, something Safari has to be tweaked to do. And it's lots faster, too. OmniWeb has a drawer-style tab system and the drawer can be placed on the right or the left, but it costs almost $15. I bought a license many moons ago when it was nearly $30. :eek:

However, as for Safari's slow page loading, I think an app called Onyx has a way to eliminate the page load delay.

6. feuerschlange thread starter macrumors regular

Not found within onyx, but finally found a solution for the tooltip weblink display (if there only would be an option, to tweak the waiting time for the tooltip, to pop up with the linked address.)

7. G-Com macrumors regular

Okay... Try this:

Close Safari, open Terminal (Home>>Applications>>Terminal) and type the following: defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay -float 0.1

Launch Safari. It should be noticeably quicker.