Safari app shifting on my dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eliteml, May 5, 2009.

1. eliteml macrumors newbie

I've had this problem for some time now and i was wondering if anyone knows how to resolve it. I love Safari and use it to surf all the time. For years I've always had it on the far left of my dock. Until recently all was well and then I saw that it would shift to the far right of my dock anytime i'd open it up. When i would move it back to my "preferred" position in the dock, it would shift back to the right. I know this sounds trivial but it is so annoying to see this happen when i don't know the reason why. So, does anyone know how to correct this problem?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you recently update or reinstall Safari? When it opens on the right side, is there a Safari icon still visible on the left, as well?

3. eliteml thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran the software update recently and Safari has the latest version installed. If I quit out of Safari, the icon disappears from my dock and I have to go into my Application folder to use it again. I should clarify that Safari isn't going to the far right side of my dock (past the divider where my folders and trash can are kept) only to the furthest right side of the apps portion of the dock (the location directly before the divider line.

ps-if i post this reply in the wrong location i apologize. this is the first time i post on the forum site.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you open your Applications folder and drag the Safari icon to the left side of your Dock, it will perform as it used to. You can drag any icon off the Dock if you don't want it there. You can also add frequently used apps to the Dock by dragging from the Applications folder to the Dock.

5. eliteml thread starter macrumors newbie

this is what i have been doing. the problem occurs when i quit the app. the icon does not stay in the dock. it disappears.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You need to drag it to your Dock before you open it. The icon should appear in your Dock when the app is not running. Then, you should be able to click the icon on the Dock to launch it. When you quit the app, it should remain in your Dock.

7. emt1 macrumors 65816

8. eliteml thread starter macrumors newbie

At first I was using MobileMe to sync my dock. But I have 2 Macs and everytime my MBP would sync up with MobileMe it would say that there was a sync conflict and therefore wouldn't be able to sync the dock settings with MobileMe. I've since disabled syncing with MobileMe with my MBP and continue to do so with my iMac.

9. JediMeister macrumors 68040

After launching Safari and having it appear in the Dock, albeit temporarily, click and hold down on its Dock icon until it shows the context menu where you can select "Keep in Dock." Then drag Safari to the desired position in the Dock.

Attached Files:

10. eliteml thread starter macrumors newbie

i got it to stay but it still jumps to the right of my apps dock. that's the problem i had with it to begin with. it wont stay put.

11. JediMeister macrumors 68040

What happens if you pull com.apple.dock.db and com.apple.dock.plist from ~/Library/Preferences to the Desktop and log out/back in or restart? You may have to re-add Safari to the Dock again, I haven't tested.

12. gank41 macrumors newbie

Having Same Issue With Airfoil

I just wanted to add that I'm having this exact same problem with Airfoil. I was syncing my MacPro with my MobileMe account and have since stopped because I got a MacBook Pro and there were syncing issues (Same as Above). Whenever I move the dock icon, it moves it back to the far right about 3-4 seconds later.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where are you trying to move it to?

14. gank41 macrumors newbie

Just 5 spots over from the first spot on the right in the dock, just right of middle (if that made sense). Airfoils seems to be the only dock icon that does this, too. I've got other dock icons I've had no issues with...

15. hagar macrumors 6502a

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Man, a picture is worth a thousand words! You've tried to use too few. ;)

17. gank41 macrumors newbie

I first went to my MobileMe Options and unchecked the option to sync my Dock Preferences. I then signed out of everything related to MobileMe, restarted, and then signed back in to all of my MobileMe stuff and now all is well...

Not really sure how to take a picture of a video. I was going to try videotaping myself going though the motions but then I was like... ehhhh, whatevs

18. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Good deal !