Safari, App Store, and iTunes Stopped Working on iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by -iKris-, Jan 12, 2014.

1. -iKris- macrumors regular

Hi everyone. Hoping for some help from people who know a lot more about this stuff than I do!

Yesterday Safari, the App Store, and iTunes all stopped working on my 2011 iMac. None of them will connect to the internet and I've tried everything I can think of. I'm still running Mountain Lion on it.

I can get online fine with Firefox and Chrome, and I can stream via things like Spotify with no problems. But those Apple apps just won't work.

I've tried logging in as a guest and still nothing.

Any ideas what's going on or what I can try? I'm not sure if this is because I haven't upgraded to Mavericks, but I can't upgrade now because the app store won't connect!

2. Bear macrumors G3

Does trying everything include restarting OS X? If not try that.

Once you've tried that and if it still doesn't work, what error messages are you getting from each of the apps that won't connect? And have you tried different websites in Safari?

Does iTunes work for playing back local music?

3. -iKris- thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I've tried restarting everything, including my router. iTunes will play local music. I should have said that the iTunes *Store* doesn't work. In other words, anything Apple-based can't connect to the internet.

I don't get any error messages at all. After a long time on the App Store it just says that it can't connect to the internet. In Safari no message ever appears. It just stays permanently as a blank white page while the address bar is just stuck on whatever address I've just typed in.

This has lasted more than 24 hours now...I have no idea what else to try. There doesn't seem to be any obvious problem that would explain this...

4. timothymacpack macrumors newbie

I've got the same exact thing, started a few days ago. i'm kind of freaked out that it could be a virus.

----------

Oh this conversation is older than I realized. What was the solution?

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, it can't be a virus, as there's no such thing for OSX to date.

Try logging in under a different User Account and see if the problem persists.