Safari App Store redirects what happened?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by crashoverride77, Feb 19, 2015.

1. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Since ios 8 safari is supposed to prompt first before redirecting an ad to the App Store. I have being trying to read about it but couldn't really find any answers.

2. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

For me still some websites redirects directly to Apple store...

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Ultimately, it seems like it was never really (properly) implemented.

4. dyt1983, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Restricting installations also restricts simply going to the App Store?

6. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Philly.com redirects me to some crappie game in the app store pretty frequently. It's really obnoxious and makes people just one star the apps. FYI the app developers are usually unaware that the ad services they contract are doing this kind of slimey thing.

7. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Yes. We use this on our student iPads with our mdm. Disabling the install apps setting in restrictions removes the App Store from the device. Therefore there is no App Store to redirect to. However, this isn't really a plausible workaround for 95% of the user base.

8. crashoverride77 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's basically the conclusion I came to. I have never even seen the prompt, every ad with an app gets redirected. So annoying and I wonder what happened because I believe in the 8.0 betas it was working. Maybe they had some developer backlash although I doubt it.

Yeah I tried this but it's too inconvenient since I use the app store a lot and like updated apps.

9. dyt1983, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

10. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

How do you know it is supposed to?

11. crashoverride77 thread starter macrumors 65816

12. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

It can certainly work for some, but at the same time not practical for many others who update apps often and perhaps get apps here and there. So certainly a workaround, and perhaps one of the less convenient ones, but not as useful to many, although can be better for some.

Realistically the true solution is for Apple actually to do what they seem like were going to do and actually address this rather simplistic issue that should have already been dealt with long ago.

----------

Yeah, it's really too bad they didn't actually get it to work (at least not in any of the final versions). Something rather straightforward as that which should have been addressed by Apple by now, and realistically quite a while back now.

14. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I have deleted my games from King because they use these type of ads. They are really nasty aggressive advertisers (on OS X too). It's a minor thing but it makes me feel better.

15. crashoverride77 thread starter macrumors 65816

King is so bad with their adverts its unreal

----------

yeah they should have fixed this ages ago, its so annoying. I wonder if developers complained about it but that wouldn't make much sense since the adverts still work, they just should not redirect automatically. :mad:

16. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

I suspect Apple decided their beta implementation was poor and they needed to decide on something better before deploying. The way it worked in the beta you would get a popup dialog asking if you wanted to be redirected. Truthfully, this was only marginally better than just getting redirected, since it still interrupted what you were doing and had to be dismissed. I'm also betting a lot of non-technical users would have just clicked the OK button automatically, actually making it worse than no dialog at all. You could just block them entirely with no prompt, but this would be very confusing for anyone trying to click a legit link and not understanding why it wouldn't work.

You could do something like what Google Chrome does for popup windows on the Desktop, where it just sticks a little notification in the browser address bar. This is a bit tricky to implement effectively on Mobile though.

In other words, blocking these redirects may be simple, but actually doing it in a way that improves the user experience is harder than it might seem.

17. JackieInCo macrumors 601

If any of you are Jailbroken, you can block ads in your browser and any app and it will stop those redirects that apps and browsers can do.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Simply blocking automatic redirects would do--basically very similar to what is there and has been there for a long time for pop-ups.

19. gordon1234, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Safari App Store redirects what happened?

Actually, popups generally are not blocked 100%. Most browsers will allow them in response to a direct click event. This is pretty much necessary of you ever want a link to automatically open in a new window or tab, for instance. In fact, I believe Apple was trying something similar. Even in the betas that had the redirect blocking enabled, I seem to recall it wasn't triggered in all cases. Tapping links did not seem to trigger it, for instance.

Personally I wouldn't mind at least a "block always" option in Preferences, but that is not how Apple likes to do things. Building a suboptimal implementation and then hiding it by default is just not how they roll.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's certainly better than petty much anything being able to hijack what you are doing and take you somewhere else in the middle of what you are doing. What Apple has allowed to exist so far is worse then even a half baked solution. Seems like Apple should be more concerned about having a complete problem and for a long time than even a "suboptimal" solution. Just because one can't come up with a perfect solution doesn't mean the problem should just remain there and for a long time until a perfect or a good enough solution is created--put in some temporary one at least to stem the problem while you work on some sort of "perfection".

21. crashoverride77 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's what I think, I rather have a half assed solution with pop-ups than these damn automatic redirects. A pop up is way less intrusive than actually getting kicked out of Safari/an app and into the App Store. Ideally they should integrate these pop ups into banners so they are as unintrusive as possible.
    I never tested the beta so I cannot comment on how it worked, all I know is that the current implementation sucks.

22. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

When pop up are disabled on Google Chrome, it seems to block the App Store redirects. A little banner on the bottom appears saying pop up blocked. Not sure what they are doing on that app but tons of other apps and Apple could learn a few tricks from Chrome. I do have block pop up enabled on Safari but doesn't seem to be doing anything. Haven't been using it much since it is significantly slower on javascript heavy websites compared to Safari which I tend to browse.