safari: apple can do this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Masquerade, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

I don't have any web mobile experience since i bought the iphone. Safari crashes always. always. every firmware. i'm sick of this. This can't be web mobile experience.. i can't make a post on imdb. shutdown. i tried on macrumors, and i got one in five. i scroll on my bank account and boom. again. i visit gizmodo, switch to classic page, scroll, boom.

if i had bought an iPod and the device refused to play music this would be huge news, all around the world.

never been around more than 12 minutes on safari...

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Really? I mean it crashes soemtimes for me, but not as bad as it sounds for you

Did you try a restore? If you did(and it didn't help) go talk to Apple see what they say

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Wow.
    It's very irregular that Safari is crashing that often.
    Safari never crashes that often on my iPod touch, especially on firmware 2.2
    Maybe try restoring it.

4. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Safari never crashes on my phone. Try a full restore. Whenever I have a problem, I do a restore as a new phone. Also remember that you can always call apple or try to exchange it if you still have the warranty.

5. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

As said above, this serious of an issue sounds isolated - do a full restore.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, I've never had Safari crash on me. Sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time with it.

7. milani macrumors 68000

milani

What kind of websites are you visiting? I have a feeling that users (and the websites they habit) are more responsible for Safari crashing than Apple is.

8. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Should it matter? If you can only visit certain websites for fear of it crashing, it's not the real web experience. For the record, mine very rarely crashes.

9. Masquerade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

the crashes happens a lot at imdb forums, macrumors forums, gizmodo full site, engadget, i mean, those ones i can remember because they are well know.

When safari is crashing? You know right away when:

- the loading indicator is almost reaching the right side of the url field; if the loading indicator is stopped more than 4 seconds, it will crash.

- if you pick a textbox and the first 3 keypresses keep "stuck" in intervals of one second then safari will crash too.

- if you are sliding a page when loading, chances are that safari will crash.

is not a crashing but maybe is the lastest in user interfaces:

- if you edit some text area, like those in forums, you will notice that you can't use any scroll bar erm.. you have tap the border (if you can point that thing) of the text area and *wait* well damm wait forever for lines to coming up like a 9600baud transmission thing..

10. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Try repairing permissions in Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

before doing a restore.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm constantly on MR on my phone and it NEVER crashes. I stress never because it's literal. Before I exchanged I had a couple but nothing near what you are experiencing.

Go to the Apple store. They'll give you a new one.

12. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Of course it shouldn't matter, but it always does. If you're going to MySpace pages (for example) that are just a code heavy nightmare than expect the iPhone and Safari to run into problems - just like Firefox on the desktop might (and often does).

Oh, and from what the OP listed he's typically going to forums. From my experience forums seem to run excessively rough on Mobile Safari, so maybe that's a problem with Safari, or rather how Safari runs and interfaces with forums, but I've noticed that it is significantly less stable on forums as well. I guess if forums are the only place you visit (where you're actually trying to type posts) then you're inevitably going to run into problems (in most cases).

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Have you upgraded to 2.2 yet?

On the 2.0 and 2.1 versions I was getting about a dozen Safari crashes a day. Since I upgraded it's more like 1 per day, and not even that on some days.

14. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

It's not inevitable. I'm on forums all the time and have no problems with my Safari. It's definitely a case by case basis and should be taken to the Apple store.

If your phone is a piece, don't assume it's the way it's supposed to be. Especially when you have others telling you it's not.

Get it checked out.

15. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

He's talking about Safari on his iPhone, not on his Mac.

16. thewizard.mac macrumors member

I have a few crashes only and mostly in facebook.

17. milani macrumors 68000

milani

It's not a hardware problem so taking to the Apple Store will accomplish nothing. They will simply tell you to restore the phone to its original firmware, which you could do without wasting the trip to the store in the first place. If you're really annoyed the crashing then I suggest you (the OP) reset your phone and see if it improves the problem. I can pretty much guarantee it won't because crashing is just an anomalous thing with the firmware itself (so if resetting it doesn't fix it, nothing will). It's in Apple's hands to improve the stability of Safari (which they have been doing with each x.x firmware update).

18. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Safari used to crash for me all the time, too. It was VERY annoying and made the iPhone useless for web browsing.

But, upgrading to 2.2 has dramatically helped. Safari has only crashed twice since I updated to 2.2. Although, when it does crash now, it freezes the entire phone and requires a hard re-boot. But, still better than crashing every time I load a website on the iPhone.

19. DreamPod macrumors 65816

The problem is your iPhone is running out of memory. When it runs low on memory it kills the currently-running app so that you will always have enough to run the phone app. Safari unfortunately takes up a lot of memory; some web pages take more than others (particularly ones with lots of pictures like Gizmodo and Engadget). And if you have multiple pages loaded at once (sounds like that may be your problem, if you are talking about sliding between pages while one is loading), that can take up a huge amount depending on the pages loaded, since all the pages are remaining in memory.

So what can you do? First off, make sure you are running OS 2.2 - Safari takes less memory in that update. Second, close any pages you aren't using - if you've got 6 or 8 pages loaded, that's not good. If it does crash, shut down the system and restart it to clean out memory, by holding the reset button until it gives you the option to shut off the power (and then shutting it off).

Oh, and note that Safari stays in memory after you close it, so if it's using up a lot of memory, you are running the risk of other apps crashing as well.