Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dovydas

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
I have noticed that Safari Audio is always in the top 3 apps of my iPhone 11 Pro battery usage report, but i don't even remember when i played a video or audio using safari. My battery life is crap, during the night it goes down by 20-30% while I sleep. My old iPhone X which I still have and use and has all the same settings does not have this problem. Safari audio does not come up in battery usage on my iPhone X. Today I restored my iPhone 11 Pro and set it up as new (no backup) and by the time I finished setting it up and adjusting it to my liking Safari audio showed up again, i havent even open safari yet at that point. This is clearly a bug. I wasted so much time trying to see if that's something that I did, I tried to turn off anything that is even remotely related to Safari and nothing.

Is anyone else noticing this on iPhone 11 Pro/Max? My battery life is horrible considering damn phone has a new 3000 mAh battery compared to 2700 mAh iPhone which is at 89% and I get more ot of iPhone X than iPhone 11 Pro.

Dovydas

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
It's software issue, I don't see how DFU restore might help and i don't want to waste any more time with this, I'm juts wondering are there any more people having this issue, becayse safari audio drain is not a new thing it has happened in multiple iOS version.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
It's software issue, I don't see how DFU restore might help and i don't want to waste any more time with this, I'm juts wondering are there any more people having this issue, becayse safari audio drain is not a new thing it has happened in multiple iOS version.

Have you at least tried resetting all the settings?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I saw this for the first time yesterday. My 11 Pro Max is on the current release 13.2.2. About 7:30 -8pm last night I noticed the low battery warning, first time I’ve ever seen this on any phone, normally at that time I am at 50-60%. I am usually putting the phone back on the charger around 8:30 pm. When I checked the battery setting I saw that Safari audio business. I could only assume some web site that has an auto play video got stuck running, draining the battery, even though no sound was coming from Safari or the phone. I did a forced reboot and placed it on the charger, everything seems fine today. I guess that aggressive memory management issue really did get “resolved.”

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016

If it’s a software issue, DFU will 100% fix it. If not, it’s hardware.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
If it’s software he will be re-installing the same software, 13.2.2, even after a DFU. I’ve only ever used that to downgrade from an installed beta, but I dont put betas on my phone anymore. Don’t think that will help. He could try the beta, 13.3. I have not seen this issue on my iPad Pro which is on that beta. But for now I would do a forced reboot and hope the next software release is soon.

Dovydas

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
If it’s a software issue, DFU will 100% fix it. If not, it’s hardware.
DFU restore does nothing special, I already restored from Finder in Catalina and set it up as new without any backup settings.
[automerge]1573580022[/automerge]
If it’s software he will be re-installing the same software, 13.2.2, even after a DFU. I’ve only ever used that to downgrade from an installed beta, but I dont put betas on my phone anymore. Don’t think that will help. He could try the beta, 13.3. I have not seen this issue on my iPad Pro which is on that beta. But for now I would do a forced reboot and hope the next software release is soon.
Reboot doesn't help. Nothing helps. As I said before safari audio showed up in battery usage while i was setting the phone up, i had not even opened safari at that point when it showed 11% safari audio battery usage.

always top battery user even though i barely used it and nothing relating to audio.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.PNG
    IMG_0005.PNG
    986.9 KB · Views: 449

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
DFU restore does nothing special, I already restored from Finder in Catalina and set it up as new without any backup settings.
[automerge]1573580022[/automerge]

Reboot doesn't help. Nothing helps. As I said before safari audio showed up in battery usage while i was setting the phone up, i had not even opened safari at that point when it showed 11% safari audio battery usage.

always top battery user even though i barely used it and nothing relating to audio.
Do you have Safari enabled in iCloud? Could you try disabling that to see if that makes a difference? Also, have you tried closing all tabs and then clearing all Safari data? Lastly, perhaps playing with some Safari settings might make a difference (even down to disabling/enabling various ones, including experimental features), including anything related to location use (even though it doesn’t appear to be directly relevant in this case)?

Dovydas

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Do you have Safari enabled in iCloud? Could you try disabling that to see if that makes a difference? Also, have you tried closing all tabs and then clearing all Safari data? Lastly, perhaps playing with some Safari settings might make a difference (even down to disabling/enabling various ones, including experimental features), including anything related to location use (even though it doesn’t appear to be directly relevant in this case)?
I tried all of that, bacground app refresh, icloud, save for offline reading all location settings, siri and siri search etc. The problem is even if im not using it and it is force closed and phone rebooted it will eventually show up in battery usage and it not just some visual bug because my battery life sucks balls. If i leave my iPhone X when i go to sleep battery goes down by 2% max. iPhone 11 Pro 20-30% in about 6 hours just by sitting on a table.

• Wow
Reactions: badatusernames

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I tried all of that, bacground app refresh, icloud, save for offline reading all location settings, siri and siri search etc. The problem is even if im not using it and it is force closed and phone rebooted it will eventually show up in battery usage and it not just some visual bug because my battery life sucks balls. If i leave my iPhone X when i go to sleep battery goes down by 2% max. iPhone 11 Pro 20-30% in about 6 hours just by sitting on a table.
What about signing out of iCloud completely to see if that makes a difference?

Dovydas

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
What about signing out of iCloud completely to see if that makes a difference?
I will do that when i use all other options, because it is a big pain in my behind to sign out of icloud.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I will do that when i use all other options, because it is a big pain in my behind to sign out of icloud.
I figured if you’ve done something like DFU restores and all that, not signing into iCloud or signing out of it wouldn’t be that far off from something to try.

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Try the beta. You have nothing to lose anyway. (Do an archived backup before enrolling your device to the beta channel)

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
The beta may help but I’m curious if you’re using a content blocker, that also could help. As I said I saw this for the very first time last night. I had never seen Safari Audio before, and it definitely drained my battery. But that forced reboot shut it down. I am using an ad blocker but it didn’t catch whatever that was but it might help since you are always seeing it. Signing out of iCloud probably won’t help because when you sign back in whatever website is causing this will sync down to your phone again, I’m guessing here but since you see the issue as soon as you set the phone up something is coming back to your phone. Clearing all Safari history might help because it will clear all cookies and data from all your devices. You will have to log back in to many sites and services but that‘s better than what you’re seeing.

And just so we’re clear when I say forced reboot I mean of the phone, volume up - press, volume down - press, hold side button in till the Apple logo appears. A regular shut down won’t stop something like this.

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
Same issue here. My guess it's a bug in the latest iOS release. Haven't seen this problem before on iOS 13.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.