Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Now when I click back (back to a Google search, or nyt main page, etc) I stead of going back to the section of the page where I clicked the link, it reverts to the top of that previous page. Super annoying because of course I have to scroll back to where I was to continue down. I assumed this started with ios17 as it has only very recently been an issue and I just upgraded this past week - but when searching I found various threads about a similar issue on ios15 and 16 - seems pretty random but no real fix was ever verified. Is this fixable? Thank you!

lafitte

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2023
Same issue I could not find fixes for and to be clear is not limited to the NYT site. All sites.

Sonoma 14.1.1 Safari Version 17.1 (19616.2.9.11.7)

learjet

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2021
Yup, can confirm. Same here. Doesn‘t happen on all pages, happens only sometimes. Isn‘t really reproducible. But quite annoying. I think this (WebKit?) bug got introduced in iOS 17.

On Google.com it seems to a separate bug, on Google.com it happens every time and is reproducible. Seems to happen since Google introduced infinite scrolling.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Has not been the case “for years” - at least not with NYT. Was immediately obvious to me upon upgrading to ios17. I don’t personally have other sites where I encounter it that I can think of, but of course it makes sense there would be others. Super annoying.

AstonSmith

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
UK
I'm still on 16 but I also get this on some sites, including Reddit and Google search. Definitely agreed about how annoying it is.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I swear this has been the case for years. That’s why I rely on opening a new tab and just swiping back
I’ve also seen this for a long time; it will vary between sites so, like you swiping back is the only way to get back to the same spot on the previous page.

Reactions: lyricalbliss6

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
bizzump. Seemed like this had maybe been addressed at least somewhat - seems like it’s now back with a vengeance (alongside a bunch of ***** that just makes iOS less and less usable, like awful changes to autocorrect, cursor placement/selection logic, and more)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.