Safari - beach ball - are you kidding me?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alana22, Dec 31, 2008.

1. alana22 macrumors regular

So I shelled out 2,200 dollars a couple months back for the 24" 3.06 iMac and all has been great until about 2 weeks ago when loading ANY web page results in about a 5 second stall while the beach ball does its thing. It basically locks up Safari for several seconds then loads the page. The computer also has 2 gigs of ram and the only applications that I ever keep open are colloquy, transmission, iTunes and the mail app. I have tried everything imaginable to fix this, from different connections (ethernet and wifi), running no applications at all except Safari, etc... no difference. I've rebooted, tried deleting stuff off my hd (even though I still had 350gb of free space).

Any ideas on just why my $2,000+ computer has to hiccup just to load google.com ?

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Make sure you are up to date on all the software updates. Then try doing Empty Cache from the Safari menu. If still the same, try doing a full Reset Safari.

If the Empty Cache fixes the problem, then in a month or so, you'll want to defrag your Safari cache. http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5053757&postcount=6

3. alana22 thread starter macrumors regular

Clearing the history didn't work (I had already tried that) and all of my software is up to date. How do I do a full Reset Safari?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Instead of complaining about how a free piece of software isn't performing correctly, have you even tried googling the problem to see if anyone else has had the same issue?

Second, the fact that you have Transmission open while trying to load a webpage most likely has a lot to do with the problem. It's a bittorrent client, after all.

Alternatively just use Firefox, Opera, Camino, or any of the numerous free web browsers available. Safari is garbage in the first place.

5. alana22 thread starter macrumors regular

What exactly is the free software? Safari? IIRC, Leopard isn't a free download.

Furthermore, if you had read my post in its entirety you would see this problem only recently arose. The fact I have used Transmission since I bought this computer yet only had the spinning beach ball problem start a couple weeks ago would lead me to the logical conclusion that Transmission is not at fault here.

As for recommending someone google a problem instead of ask on here, thanks for the brilliant recommendation. Oh wait, this is a help forum where people ask questions. If you have nothing beneficial to add, please don't muck up threads with these comments of yours.

The fact you're telling me to stop using Safari altogether because you deem it to be "garbage" is all fine and dandy, but it really isn't the help I'm looking for. So, thanks but no thanks.

6. ercanbas macrumors regular

Epic Comeback FTW!

7. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Sorry, this is a bit of a hijack

Is it only Safari or are other programs having similar problems?

I bought a 2.2 Ghz MBP several months ago as well, and now it performs slow as molasses in Safari, but recently it's been slow everywhere, hang ups, taking a minute to launch iTunes. I've repaired permissions, have all the latest software, going to clean out all the caches tonight and hope that helps.

I also can't run software update from the OS, I just get an unusable window so I have to run it through terminal.

8. shwc macrumors regular

Often this is due to bad or outdated DNS server information either on your computer or on your router. A DNS server is what translates the url http address into the IP address of the of the server serving up the web page.

Check your advanced settings in the network preference pane, click the DNS tab; make that sure the you do not have any DNS Server settings (beyond those given to your computer by the modem/router (these are the grayed out listings). Alternatively, enter in the settings for OpenDNS (google it).

As I understand it, what happens is that your computer tries to contact the first DNS server on the list. After a period of time, if the DNS server is not responding because it is busy or non-existant, then your computer tries to connect to the next DNS server on the list, etc.

Your ISP's modem is set to use the ISP's DNS servers, but your computer and router can dictate which server to check first.

Good catch, I did not see that

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Did you go to a Prono site and get a DNS trojan posing as a QuickTime plugin? Download the free Trojan remover DNSChanger Removal Tool and use it to make sure you didn't get the Trojan.

Plus i urge any computer user (even windows & Linux) to use OpenDNS. Get a free account to customize your DNS for the first time. They have a great how to video to show you the benefits of using the free service. IMHO this makes the internet a lot safer & faster using this service (they use DNS cacheing for most visited sites) .

Lastly have you went to /YourHardDrive/Users/YouUserName/Library/Preferences/ and delete the file com.apple.Safari.plist to reset Safari yet? This might also help.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

But Safari isn't a $2,000 download, either. Essentially you're blaming the shortcomings of a [replaceable, free, nonessential] program by saying that it's the machine's fault, and that this one minor shortcoming in the software suddenly invalidates the expensive hardware you purchased. If you don't see anything wrong with that "argument," then nobody in the world is going to be able to help you.

It's not a illogical conclusion, but it's not like Transmission downloads at one speed and one speed only. Do you really think that conditions on your machine are exactly the same each time you use it? Torrent programs, like every other piece of software, use a variable amount of RAM as they require it. So, have you recently started downloading multiple torrents at once? Are you downloading at higher speeds with a torrent(s) with more seeders? Because that will affect the speed at which the page loads also. Since you failed to provide this information, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that all of these are possible, along with other possibilities I haven't thought of.

As with most situations in life, "help" starts with "helping yourself." My suggestion that you google your problem wasn't a snarky response with a "screw you" behind it, but more to save you time so you would get your browser functioning faster. If my browser didn't work for some reason, you can bet that I would be doing everything I could to fix it ASAP- not waiting around for someone to post a possible solution to my poorly-worded post on the MacRumors forums.

Well, you posted asking for a solution to a problem that you apparently "tried everything imaginable to fix." If you really thought about it, you'd realize that Safari is free also. Imagine that. I'll post the link here so you don't have to google it, since that's pretty difficult: http://www.apple.com/safari/ . I've never downloaded/installed Safari, but I assume once you mount the disk image you'll just have to drag it to your Applications folder and click the option that says you want to replace the existing copy.

If you feel like coming out of your shell and avoiding Safari's [many] problems entirely, here are links to the other browsers I mentioned and you subsequently ignored. If nobody can figure out why your version is being so fussy, you might look into these and find that you like them.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
    http://caminobrowser.org/
    http://www.opera.com/

And in the larger picture, it's a good idea not to bite the hands that feed you. My original post wasn't actually meant to ridicule- it's just what I would have done in your situation. Sorry you took it as such.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Here's another suggestion:

Open Safari
    Go to Preferences ("Safari" menu or Apple + ,)

where it says "New windows open with:" select the option that says "Empty Page"

Quit Safari

Relaunch Safari

Do you have the same problem with the beachball? If you don't, then it's most likely a network problem i.e. you are downloading too many torrents and the webpage is having a hard time finding enough bandwidth to send the data to your machine. If it persists, then it's actually a safari problem and if you can't find a solution here or otherwise then it might be time to either reinstall Safari, reinstall OS X, or use a different browser.

12. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Network response times are not a factor in Safari beachballs. A web browser is designed to expect that network response times are not zero, and are highly variable. Any serious program written in the last 10 years would be expected to maintain event loop response while waiting on a network reply, even if it is single threaded.

A browser plug-in has the potential to delay event loop response, so it might be a good idea to junk the plug-ins folders.

13. Peet macrumors newbie

Safari not responding

Same problem here, after the last Safari update, os x 10.4.11 PPC safari is not responding after viewing 2 or 3 different webpages. You must forced quit the app to get out. Same thing on a Acer with XP sp3. Removed safari completely with cleanapp and reïnstalled safari 3.2.1 runs ok for an hour or so and got the same problem. No problems whatsoever with Camino or Firefox. Anyone?:confused:

14. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

clearing the history is not the same thing as emptying the cache.

15. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

This sounds familiar. Any sites with flash ads or such?

Safari had this serious bug a while ago I can barely remember. It should have been fixed. I remember it was plagued on a site like imdb.com. Any flash stuff. It wouldn't crash right away but eventually. Sometimes even just clicking the back button. It would beach ball for a while then crash.

Anything out of the ordinary from, Help -> Installed Plug-ins?...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6678584&postcount=9

But since it beach balls at even google.com, I honestly don't know. Something has definitely interfered with it recently.

16. Live Steam macrumors regular

Yes it is. Since Safari will only run on OS X and OS X can only run on a Mac of one form or another, then Safari is a $2k app if that's what the OP paid for their computer.

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, it's not.

Wrong. "Free for Mac + PC" - http://www.apple.com/safari/

Wrong. OS X can only run legally on a Mac.
    http://osx86.thefreesuite.com/
    http://www.hackint0sh.org/

Care to try again?

18. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

It's funny that people jump to the conclusion that it's automatically the fault of the browser they are using or it's the machines fault that the web pages are loading slow. Couldn't possible be your ISP, or maybe the fact that there could be a lot of web traffic happening at the times you are trying to log on, Nooo couldn't be that at all. Has to be the $2000+ machine.

19. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Care to not.

Could you two possibly get anymore anal.

This isn't a competition. "I know more than you do! No I do!" type of behaviour.

Well the person should be running speedtests to see if it is that or not.

20. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

No matter what you say, you were rude and it sounded like you were looking down over the original poster. You didn't care he OP has already stated that even running only safari the problem was present, that he/she described several steps he/she took to try to isolate the problem, you came up with what sounded like harassing and gave no help at all. Even in your second and third posts, you keep the same tone, even trying to be ironic.

To the OP: I also think what you describe sound like a DNS server problem, you should try OpenDNS.

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

True. Although I wouldn't say I "didn't care"- more I just missed it.

See above. Misinterpretation is not my problem. Suggested methods of solving the problem: Google (which does produce potentially useful results: click) or an alternative browser. In later posts, suggested fixes by myself and others range from reinstalling the program (free download) to checking the DNS information.

The OP can try any of these whether they like my "tone" or not- I'm not going to lose any sleep either way. As I said before, I'm not the one having browser issues. Advice is advice, whether they choose to act on it or not is up to them.

The second and third posts... where I point out inconsistencies in what the OP wrote in their second post and where I offer a suggestion on trying to solve the problem? I can play around with words too.

In any case, the OP still has yet to let us know if they ...

...managed to clear the cache. In all likelihood that will solve the problem. While they're at it they should go to the Advanced tab in the Preferences and only let Safari use a couple megabytes for the cache (10 should be fine).

...deleted the plist file (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist)

...investigated a large Icons folder (~/Library/Safari/Icons) which apparently fills up after extensive use (although I can't tell/remember if this was a Panther/Tiger-specific problem).

...tried using OpenDNS.

...tried a different browser, even just as a test.

22. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Isnt it funny that people like you assume that its everyone's fault but apple's? Perhaps this guy has several other computers on his network that function fine. You dont know, yet here you are assuming that the OP is wrong right off the bat for expecting his mac to work correctly.

23. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

How is this arguing in any way assisting the OP with his problem?

I don't think it sounds like a DNS issue since the beachball indicates that the computer is busy - not that it's sent a request and is awaiting a reply.

Before jumping into possible solutions we need to work out what the problem is. As Miles suggests, download Firefox and seeing if the same happens? If it doesn't, then we know it's a Safari problem rather than a network/DNS issue.

24. new.chaos macrumors newbie

Just came upon this thread and felt I should respond constructively.

First, this is a problem that is affecting not just a few people, including myself. Doing web searches turns up a lot of people having this problem going back past 2005 but very little to no real information or solutions.

Probably about 8 months ago I started having this issue, and I was more or less happy using Safari up till that point. But then started seeing the beach balls. So I went through diagnosing the problem, clearing caches, clearing plists, running tools like Onyx, resetting everything short of an OS re-install. Nothing worked.

I switched to Firefox and haven't had a problem and Firefox has worked reliably. After reading this thread, I went back to test to see if Safari still beach balls after the latest updates (10.5.6, et al) and sure enough it does.

So the asinine responses to the OP aside, this is a real issue and no - clearing the cache, DNS (really? how is there any connection to a beach ball whatsoever) etc etc ad nauseum does not solve it. If your machine doesn't exhibit the bug, please don't assume other people are doing something wrong. It's a computer, not a religion.

25. new.chaos macrumors newbie

By the way I plan to keep using Firefox. I miss some OS integration that Safari gives but Firefox on the whole is much more flexible and functional. And most importantly it just works without the beach balls.

I'd like to see Apple implement XUL and Mozilla do WebKit but this ain't a perfect world. Firefox it is.

By the way I would highly suggest to anyone having this issue to just move on with Firefox. I've reported this issue up to Apple many times to no avail. If you take it to a Genius bar, it's a colossal waste of time. They'll do the basic stuff you expect them to do when they put it on the bench. Hardware scans, etc. They'll hand it back to you with the problem unfixed, with some note saying they couldn't reproduce it.

Best of luck.