Safari beach-balling

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wayne s, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Wayne s macrumors regular

Need some help here folks, for the past few weeks Safari has been acting up and crashing/beach-balling. It happens randomly, some days not at all but today has froze on me half a dozen times or more.

I have Safari 5.0 with Click for Flash and Adblock installed running 10.6.4 on a nearly 3 year old imac.

This is my first (major) problem since switching to osx and do not really know were to start trouble shooting the problem.

I have tried repairing permissions, resetting Safari, Techtool finds nothing wrong with hardware but when I ran Onyx today the whole system seemed to freeze for a few minutes.

Any hints to as what I can check?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Get rid of those to see if it improves the situation. Or check to see if there are updates for them. The versions you have may not be up to date with Safari 5.0

3. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

Click4flash and Adblock were the latest versions, uninstalled both and problems still persist.

Always liked Safari and had the odd freeze but this is getting annoying.

4. trip1ex macrumors 68000

5. dashcs macrumors regular

First thing is to reset safari.

2nd thing I would check for all 3rd party add-ons
    I would remove all 3rd party add-ons and test

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3230
    Every folder except /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ should be empty.

Also /Library means on the local library folder and ~/Library means your home library folder.

Also http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1594
    Is for generic safari issues however I would stick with the first one since by the sounds of it,you had no issues till you went to safari 5

Other then that.Use Firefox :rolleyes:

6. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I was just coming in the apps area to see if anyone else was having issues with Safari crashing.

I didn't have any issues until Safari 5 came out. I only have one plugin, AdBlock. It seems to crash on Flash content more than anything. And I have the latest Flash plugin.

7. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

Yes 2GB of memory.

8. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

Followed that to the letter, and those folders were empty. I have removed all plugins and reinstalled the latest version of flash player. So far all is well, but Safari still seems sluggish. Might do a clean install of Snow Leopard if things get worse and use an older version a Safari.

Thanks for the help so fay guys.

9. dangson macrumors newbie

Does this happen when you're downloading stuff? Yesterday I noticed Safari slows down to a crawl when it was trying to mount a disk image I downloaded. I went to the preferences and unchecked open "safe" files automatically. Seems to be better now.

And before you reinstall SL, you should give another browser a try (Chrome for Mac has come a long way). It seems really drastic to reinstall an operating system over the browser.

10. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Try 4gb.