Safari Beta 3 Crippled my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ernestk, Jun 12, 2007.

1. ernestk macrumors newbie

oh dang. in my rush to try out safari 3 beta i practically crippled my mac now!
    the beta was installing but i accidentally force quit the installer somewhere near the start. apparently, the installer got rid of the old app and it didn’t have time to install the beta. so right now, i’ve lost safari as an app.
    the installer refused to open again after i tried to open it (the installer icon just appeared and disappeared on my dock) so i tried opening some other installer files from apple i.e. iTunes 7 installer.
    Again, i got the same results and in the process iTunes refuses to open up now (but I am able to see it under my apps).
    To my further shock, Mail and some p2p network transfer apps like Transmission refused to open. Thank god firefox is up and i can use it now.
    Question is, i really don’t want to loose my organisation in Safari and iTunes. I know i can still salvage the bookmarks and mp3s, but what can i do to get the apps back???? i use Tiger on the non-intel iMac btw.

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. trying to download safari would not implicate iTunes at all and the installer situation would not impact any p2p or mail. i am somewhat skeptical of this post.

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

This was brought up earlier by someone who had roughly the same problem, they had quit the installer half way through and key components of the system were missing, so certain applications wouldn't start.

I can't remember the outcome, but a simple search should find it. I'd suggest doing an archive and install of your system as that's the only way I think you'll get the key components you lost back again.

4. ernestk thread starter macrumors newbie

clarification

sorry aniej, shld have been clearer.
    I figured that since the beta installer caused the installer utility to go wonky, i tested it with another apple installer file, iTunes 7. I assume mail and transmission is affected since it may be have certain connections to safari.

5. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

6. ernestk thread starter macrumors newbie

yep. uninstaller is not working cause the installer utility is not working i guess.
    i'm trying to reinstall just safari frm my tiger discs according this to this apple aritcle. can it be done w/o loosing all my bookmarks and data?

7. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I see you've found one of the other threads, I hope you find a solution.

8. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

When I try to install the Safari 3 beta it says my HDD does not meet the requirements, yet I have more than enough space on it. Would it have something to do with me uninstalling Safari prior to trying to install Safari 3?

9. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

The installer needs to see "Safari" in it's default location in the Applications folder to do the update. It also needs to be named "Safari", nothing less, nothing more. Should work if it's there.

10. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

Anywhere I can download an older version of Safari or will I have to wait and hoke out my install DVD?

11. jkd123 macrumors newbie

Here's a fix!

I had the same thing happen to me (crashing midway through installation)...IMO it's a horribly designed installer/uninstaller, as i picked through the coding of it and figured out what it's doing.

It's easily reversed:
    1. Download the 10.4.9 Combo Update
    Intel: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1049comboupdateintel.html
    PPC:http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1049comboupdateppc.html
    2. Download Pacifist http://www.charlessoft.com/
    3. Open the Combo Update package in Pacifist

4. Find and extract 3 files, overwriting what is there currently:
    a. Applications/Safari.app
    b. /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework
    c. /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework
    5. Restart and you should be okay!

The installer works by archiving these three original files, then replacing them with updated ones...when you run the uninstaller, it unarchives them from their hidden spot and puts them back in their place. So, if the installer fails, the uninstall doesn't even have a chance. Poor design!

I fixed a PPC and an Intel last night with this, so there shouldn't be any problems, but feel free to fire me a message if anything needs any clarification.

12. ernestk thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds good jkd123. but i have a few questions before i try it out.
    1) Were you bookmarks lost?
    2) Were your other apps like Mail and iTunes down too? Were they restored?
    3) And do you just click on the 3 extracted files or do you drag the .app one into my apps folder?

Thanks!

13. jzieske macrumors regular

Ok, I am having the same issue here. I tried using the download but it can not find those files so I am trying to use the files from a backup a couple days ago. When I try to put /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework into my library folder i get a messsage that library can not be modified. What am I missing here?

14. jzieske macrumors regular

Alright, I seem to have fixed my problem by downloading "SafariUpdate-2.0.1" from apples website. I installed it using pacifist.

All seems to be working: mail ichat ...

15. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

If you still have the files, can you post them for download? I really don't want to download 310MB of updates for 3 files. (Especially when it takes 3 hours)

16. ernestk thread starter macrumors newbie

same questions jzieske

1) Were you bookmarks lost? - Basically, did everything go back to normal as before?
    2) Were your other apps like iTunes down too? Were they restored?
    3) And do you just click on the 3 extracted files or do you drag the .app one into my apps folder?

17. jzieske macrumors regular

1) All of my bookmarks are fine.
    2) Mail, ichat, automator and iTunes were all broken but all seem fine now.
    3)I tried using the 3 file technique above but I could not find those files in the download that was recommended. I actually downloaded "SafariUpdate-2.0.1" from http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/safariupdate201.html. I opened the downloaded package with Pacifist available from http://www.charlessoft.com/. I ran through the installer and rebooted.

Hope that helps ernestk!

18. ernestk thread starter macrumors newbie

ok done! thanks a lot guys! my mac is finally walking again. everything's back to normal!

19. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Don't you just love this place? Everyone is so helpful:D

20. shantyfolk macrumors newbie

wow, what an exciting thread! glad you're fixed up now.

21. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Good lord, I've tried everything. The Combo update doesn't work because I can't find any of the 3 files. The Safari update did nothing but fix Safari. Mail and iTunes still don't work. Should I just install the entire Combo update?

22. jzieske macrumors regular

I could not find the 3 files either. I did not try installing the entire update but it seems like that would work too. Let us know.

23. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Amazing.. everything's fixed and all I did was run the Safari 3 installer again. :D

24. rsucre macrumors newbie

Can't install in my mac

I also can't install in my mini. I can install on my backup drive. I made the backup after updating to 10.4.9, but BEFORE updating to the latest EyeTV, iTunes and Quicktime security updates. Perhaps one of those is culprit? I copied Safari and the two frameworks pointed out previously, still no success. I think it must be one of the updates.

25. moonkat macrumors newbie

Safari Beta 3 Crippled my Mac too

I have the same problem. I have done everything suggested in this thread to no avail.

Help!!!