Safari beta top sites

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Forest91, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Forest91 macrumors member

Can someone please explain to me how the top sites feature actually works on the new safari. I've been using the new beta for the last week or so and it seems like the websites that appear in the top sites section are almost entirely random ones selected from my history. Some pages that i've visited once for only minutes appear right at the front of the list. I am failing to see any pattern based on popularity.
    Any ideas? :confused:

2. Forest91 thread starter macrumors member

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

That site doesn't explain how Safari decides which sites appear on Top Sites, it just says how to work with Top Sites.

You really should read the post before telling the person to Google or MRoogle.

I am wondering exactly the same thing. Sometimes a site I only visited once, somehow earns the honor of sitting in my Top Sites. I have no idea how it actually works.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'll tell you how it works; it doesn't.

I've been trying to get TUAW in my Top Sites for WEEKS, and it has never shown up.

Oh, also, I have the Forum Spy open... always. If Safari is open, the Forum Spy is open. It refuses to appear in Top Sites.

5. Forest91 thread starter macrumors member

Glad to see i'm not the only one who's confused.
    I really don't get it

6. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I agree it doesn't work very well. I just pinned the top 12 sites I wanted to my top-sites.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I've been trying to get Apple Insider on my top sites since I downloaded the beta.

I have had no problems with the top sites on the Windows version though. It works like it should, but the Mac version is really buggy. Go figure!

8. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

Zing!.

I had the same problem, continually messing with my sites, and what is worse is when it visits a forum for you, resetting your unread threads.

But then I figured out you can click the edit on the bottom left and then 'pin' certain sites. I think you can only do this to sites that are already on the list. I set this up and just left all my forums unpinned and then when something replaced them that I liked I pinned it. After a couple days I finally have a list that resembles my Quick Launch stuff in Opera.