Safari Beta- What are they gonna fix? Are my problems common?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Baya87, May 19, 2009.

1. Baya87 macrumors member

I wrote a note through the "report bugs to apple" I hope they'll listen to me. :) But I was wondering if other people were having the same problems as me or if there are a way around my problemos.

1. I have a lot of bookmark folders all in a row. It is a pain because as I scroll over them they will open- usually not the right one that I want open, and it won't close. I have to often retry several times to hit the right folder. In firefox I noticed that there is a tiny delay to make sure that your mouse is really resting over a folder and not just passing by.

2. Sometimes when I click on a tab, and then want to switch to the one next to it, it will minimize itself. I am not double clicking, I don't think that this should happen.

3. Sometimes the scroll bar will disappear on window. I noticed that it does this when I try to go to a new website from where a spam ad was, but this also happens sometimes randomly and I have to recopy the link into a new window...

Those are the major ones. Any thoughts?

2. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

I also get the "clicking over a tab minimizes the windows" bug.

I have noticed that when I am opening new pages on different tabs, the information on the tabs disappear.

3. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

1) I don't get what is happening here. What view are you using? ARe you browsing bookmarks? Are you scrolling over the bookmarks bar? Are you using a mouse, a trackpad? Nothing on my Mac ever opens by itself. I have to click it.

2) I get this, but only because I know i've double clicked. Are you sure you didn't double click? How are you clicking, do you use trackpad touch as clicks?

3) I'm not sure I get this. I have a slow connection, sometimes a page will not finsih loading, but I don't think that is safari.

4. Savagestorm macrumors member

Only problem I have is crashing when a page contains lots of .gifs.

5. etbull macrumors newbie

Did you ever get a solution for this? I have the same problem on my netbook and would either like a slight delay or have a click to open the folders.

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I have a problem where, if I accidently hit a key on the keyboard when I'm not in a text box, the window will freeze up.

If I go to the Safari icon in the dock, and select "New Window", it'll fix itself.

Very annoying and very odd.

7. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Just a needed feature gripe.

Overall, I like Safari 4, but I've been using some SeaMonkey too. In SeaMonkey, when I hover over a Tab, I get a thumbnail preview of the page.

Why can't Safari do this?

Plus, Seamonkey seems "snappier" when working with low throughput WiFi systems, as I constantly experience when travelling.

8. MacMuppet macrumors member

Safari 4 is crashing on me several times a day, especially
    when I'm checking "insight" on YouTube. I'm having to use
    Firefox more frequently now.

9. cripplerking macrumors member

cripplerking

I have problems 2 and 3 a lot. It's really annoying, trying to change tabs, only to minimize the dumb window. I think my biggest issue though is the ridiculous sensitivity of the zoom.

10. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Noone has even properly explained what the issue is - where? bookmarks bar? Book marks menu?

11. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I haven't had a single problem with Safari 4 - I hear a lot of people reporting bugs and whatnot, but I've had good experiences with it. I did that Terminal edit to put the loading bar back and the tabs in their proper place and it's been fine. No more or less stable than 3.

Pathetic that my only complaints are cosmetic..

12. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

ppc g4 - 10.4.11

Play flash video - is bbc iplayer, youtube etc... plays ok

put computer to sleep - awaken from sleep - Video playback very poor - 1-5 frames per second - quite safari, open same video, play back is fine so issue with sleeping and awaking then playing video flash

13. Baya87 thread starter macrumors member

Re: mrkgoo

1) This occurs when I am just in any random webpage, then I click 'Bookmarks' in the menu bar at the top of the computer screen. I have a ton of bookmarks so I have them organized in about 20 folders in the bookmark menu. The problem occurs, say when I am trying to access the 10th folder down.
    Before I can get there, say, the 4th folder opens, then covers the part of the screen where the 10th folder is located, so I can't get out of that folder without just starting over. I end up having to attempt to scroll down fast enough to not trigger an opening until the 10th folder that I want. (you don't have to click for the folder to show its contents.)
    Try it by making folders in the bookmark menu and having multiple bookmarks in them. (It is fine, when I am in the bookmarks window, but that is a pain to go through every time)

2) I am sure I don't double-click, trackpad touches are not turned on as clicks. It happens when I try to switch tabs quickly. Sure maybe the clicks are rather close together in time, but they are in 2 completely different locations, and it is very frustrating.

3) I don't know why this happens.... it's nothing that don't finish loading, it is just the scroll bar on the right side of the screen just disappears. randomly. sometimes after I have already used the scroll on that page it's not too frequent, but just weird and annoying.

:confused:

14. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I don't use the bookmarks menu at all, so I obviously don't have this issue.

I think I DO get your second issue, however. I'm positive I'm not double clicking sometimes, as the focus never changed, but I would accidentally minimise. Not sure what happened. I don't get it as often anymore, so I think my clicking habits changed.

15. joesenior91 macrumors member

the only thing that bugs me is your number 2

it happens because double clicking the top of any window minimises, and it's great for applications like finder or quicktime. but because the tabs on safari 4 now occupy this window top area, clicking the tab bar twice within a short space of time minimises the window. It's really annoying, but i do love the tab bar at the top.

EDIT: you can turn off the double click title bar to minimise window feature in system preferences > appearance. this turns it off for the whole OS though, which is a shame as i did use it. not worth the hassle though.

16. Keleko macrumors 68000

I sometimes have Safari 4 spike CPU usage to max until I quit it, and it takes a long time to quit when that happens. I haven't figured out what causes this to happen.

I also got my second ever kernel panic in 17 months of owning my MBP with Safari 4 open. The screen had blanked out from idle time, and when I came back to use my Mac, it went into panic mode right after the screen came back on.

It seems this second beta of Safari 4 is worse off than the first was. I've gone back to Firefox for most of my browsing until there's a new Safari 4.