Safari Beta

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by queshy, Jun 11, 2007.

1. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

A lot of people have been unable to tell this one apart from the old one...I was in the same boat, til I hit Command + f --> the search has been really improved! check it out! It's a la firefox, but better imo. On my 24" iMac, I always had a hard time "finding" what firefox would hilight, now this problem is solved! Best part of WWDC lol

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I don't actually like it that much, seems too over-done. Doesn't look very good, especially with the orange highlights.

3. tvguru macrumors 6502

I disagree, I thought it was good eye candy. To each their own ;)

Also, If you type in a website wrong and it can't find it there is a nice box under the error message where you can search with google.

4. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

It depends on your monitor..sometimes when working with a page of just text on my 24" iMac, I don't even bother using the search when I'm tired at night because it hilights just that one word and it's so hard to tell apart from the rest of the text...this makes it obvious and it's much easier on the eyes. to each his own

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Since I think the Find feature in Safari2 is complete crap, anything is an improvement. Plus, I kinda like the gray overlay and the orange...certainly makes it easier to find the word you're looking for :)

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Best thing is the draggable tabs.

One morning's use and I'm hooked. :eek:

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i noticed in parallels that the windows safari has the option to change default search to yahoo, whereas osx version is still just google, odd

8. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

On my G4 iBook, Safari 3 beta worked flawlessly. Had to uninstall on my Core 2 Duo iMac though, it barely worked at all. I couldn't give the window focus in order to scroll with the scroll wheel on my mouse, plus it would occasionally hang.

9. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

i have a brand new dell and safari keeps crashing on it

10. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Do remember that this is a beta There are going to be some faulty things in it, wait for the next version of it.

Also, if you can't find the differences, look on Apple's website. They have lists of all the differences, with explanations.

11. TC2COOL macrumors member

I've been using this for a few hours now, and have yet to be able to open a PDF. Has anyone else experienced the "Safari has unexpectedly quit" when opening a PDF? Or is my copy the only one that's doing this?

TC

12. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I've been running it on my Vista PC at home since last night, and haven't had any problems (yet). I don't see a difference in application load times versus Firefox as Apple claims, and I don't see a difference in page load times, as Apple claims, but I do see a definite difference in load times for previously cached pages; Safari is much faster than Firefox there.

13. ready2switch macrumors 6502

ready2switch

I'm using Safari at work on XP Pro and I just tried to open a PDF to see if I get any errors. Basically what happened is it opened into a blank browser (all gray). I hit "back" and then "forward" and it went straight to the pdf document. Weird.