Safari Blank Screen with Vertical Lines

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rcross428, Sep 16, 2009.

1. rcross428 macrumors newbie

After installing Snow Leopard, I noticed that when I select a web page from the Safari startup grid (medium 6 web pages), the screen turns white with many vertical lines. This lasts for approximately 4-5 seconds before the web page loads. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thank you.

Imac - Processor 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB Memory
    Safari 4.03.
    ATI Radeon HD 4850

2. Xnet macrumors member

I'm having the same problem.

When in the 'Top Sites' grid certain websites produce vertical lines in the Safari window when selected and as they zoom to fill the browser window. Sites like cnn.com, news.yahoo.com will do this when clicked on from the 'Top Sites' grid. Other sites like reddit.com or hulu do not do this.

The big problem is that if you repeatedly select one of these 'vertical line' causing sites (20+ times) the computer kernel panics every time (at least for me and some others I know with the same problem)

I am running 10.6.1 with Safari 4.03 on a MacPro with an ATI graphics card.

I just heard that this might work but I have not tried it yet:

1. In Safari, top level menu item "Safari" > select "Reset Safari" > select all options > click RESET

2. Quit Sari

3. Go into your user folder > Library > Preferences > com.apple.Safari.plist
    Action: Drag this item to the desktop (you can actually trash it)

4. Start Safari

3. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,

A friend of mine is also having this same problem. He has an iMac 3.06GHz (2008 model) with nVidia 8800GS GPU. He didn't have any issues with Leopard (fully patched) but has this issue now that he has upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6. Applying 10.6.1 didn't help. I don't think he has had any kernel panics - presumably this locks up the machine completely does it?

He spoke to Apple support who did some checks and asked him to reinstall Leopard and then upgrade to Snow Leopard. He didn't fancy doing this just yet as he (and I) think this is some sort of Snow Leopard or perhaps GPU firmware issue. The vertical lines are just a nuisance at present and he has plenty of warranty left on the machine so if it is hardware related then he will still be covered.

My machine is an iMac from late 2007 with the ATI 2600Pro GPU and I have had no issues since upgrading to Snow Leopard. I think this will turn out to be a firmware issue but I'll get him to try deleting the .plist file as described above. He has already tried resetting Safari at my suggestion.

Anyone else got anything else to add regarding this issue?

Cheers,
    Craig.