Safari Bookmark Tabs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OrangesOfCourse, Mar 23, 2008.

1. OrangesOfCourse macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I had a quick question for you all. I have searched for this but am unable to come up with a suitable answer. I would like to know if its possible for my bookmarks to open in a new tab. Right now when i click on a bookmark like it opens in the same window. I have searched the preferences to no avail.

I'm thinking of moving over to Firefox but i want to wait till its out of beta so i don't have to deal with broken extensions.

Thank you

2. Latro macrumors member

3. OrangesOfCourse thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply Latro. I already know about those commands but right now on my windows machine i have firefox which allows me to left click on a bookmark and it opens in a new background tab. I'm wondering if there is a setting or a plugin i can use.

4. Latro macrumors member

Maybe I don't completely understand your question. But center click, or command click will open your bookmark in a new tab..

Are you trying to open all your bookmarks with one click? Each in its own tab?

5. OrangesOfCourse thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry... let me try to explain it better.

Lets say i have 3 links in my bookmark bar. Currently i have Google open in my main widow. I want to be able to click on link1 and have it open in a new tab. Then if i wanted i could open link3 in a new tab as well. I'm hoping that this makes a little more sense.

I'm trying to do this with having to use the center click (as i don't have an external mouse) or cmd click.

6. jon31rm macrumors member

One of only two very big reasons why I do NOT use Safari is because I cannot find a way to set my preferences to automatically open in-page links in a new tab rather than in a new window, without having to hold down the command key. It sounds like this is what you are asking. If so, I would like to know the answer as well.

The other reason I won't use Safari is because there is no way (that I know of) that I can have my bookmarks sidebar always showing a'la Firefox. If anyone knows the answer to that as well, please let me know.

7. jcs1088 macrumors regular

8. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Im confused, what's the difference between Left click, and Center Click? Latro has already answered your question, just center click on the link and it opens in a new tab. Same as Firefox, just a different button.

9. VoidBoi macrumors regular

A left click exists on a MacBook, center click does not.

For what it's worth, all of the extensions I use are compatible with Firefox 3b4/3b5 and you can run several versions of Firefox fine so it probably won't hurt to try Firefox 3. :)

10. todd2000 macrumors 68000

My bad, I missed that part of his post, and I didn't read his Sig. :eek:

11. OrangesOfCourse thread starter macrumors member

Thanks VoidBoi. I might as well give Firefox a try. :)

No problem todd2000. :)