Safari Bookmarks and multiple OSX users.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Apple fanboy, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I currently have three users on my iMac. My wife and daughter and myself. My wife tells me that all the bookmarks in her Safari are the same as mine. Having just gone in and deleted them all, I see they are now gone when I log in as me. Can anybody point me in the right direction to have all users have independent browsing and bookmarks etc?

2. Bruno09, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

The bookmarks in Safari are "per user" : they are in ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist.

Only the default bookmarks (the ones that are there when you launch Safari for the first time) are identical for all the users.

When you add a new bookmark, it is added to YOUR bookmarks list only.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Ah you were using the same iCloud account on all the accounts. Easy don't sync bookmarks to the iCloud and this behavior will stop or get separate free iCloud accounts. Live and Learn how "Cloud" syncing can bite you in the butt like what happened.

4. Apple fanboy thread starter macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

No this is not the case. My bookmarks were in my wife's account. When I deleted them from her, they were gone in me.

----------

Do you mean primary Apple I/d? Then yes. We have separate Apple I/d's for mail etc and that works fine. I have turned off iCloud Safari and will see if that works.

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

This is not possible : deleting an item in your_wife_account/Library/Safari/Boomarks.plist can not delete a item in your_account/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist.

Again, Safari bookmarks are stored in ~/Library, which is per user.

Or, your are using the same iCloud account for your 2 user accounts...

6. Apple fanboy thread starter macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Unchecking iCloud settings for Safari worked a treat. Thanks for the help!