Safari Bookmarks Bar bug

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chrismac2, Aug 8, 2010.

1. chrismac2 macrumors regular

chrismac2

This bug happens on all macs I've tried this on....I think it's done it since Safari 4.

I just want to know that I'm not crazy......if you're reading this and can try it yourself, let me know if it happens to you.

This problem is 100% reproducible for me.

Problem:

I have a lot of favorites on my Bookmarks Bar. I have enough that there is the overflow menu ">>" on the right hand side. If I click on the overflow menu so that it's open, then perhaps change my mind, and move the mouse over to the URL field and double click so it highlights the URL and I can type a new one.....instead of highlighting the URL, the Bookmarks Bar overflow menu keeps appearing as if I'm click on it. It eventually will stop, or if I click further to the left in the URL field it won't happen.

Here's a link to a video of it:
    http://gallery.me.com/chrismac88#100385

(if it doesn't look like anything's happening in the movie, try pausing and playing again....not sure why it does that)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Strange. I can't get mine to do that. When I click away from the Bookmarks Bar, the drop-down goes away and doesn't return unless I click it again.

3. chrismac2 thread starter macrumors regular

chrismac2

Thanks for checking......it happens on my macbook pro and my imac. Both running snow leopard and the latest version of safari.....

Also I could reproduce it on my friends macbook, also snow leopard and current safari.....

4. LPZ macrumors 65816

How about this oddity: Click on the >> to show the "overflow bookmarks list." This causes the >> to turn blue. Click the blue >> to dismiss the overflow list, and the >> becomes gray again. Now click on anything in the Safari menu bar---for example, View. This shows the View menu list. While that menu list is showing, double-click on any inactive portion of the Safari window. The >> turns blue and the overflow bookmarks list appears! :eek:

This happens with Safari Version 5.0.1 (6533.17.8) on OS X 10.6.4.

5. chrismac2 thread starter macrumors regular

chrismac2

Yes! I can duplicate this behavior as well.....I think it's all part of the same bug......weird.....