Safari Bookmarks Bar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by harry65, Jun 8, 2010.

1. harry65 macrumors member

Hi All -

Not sure exactly how to ask this, so let me explain my situation:

In Safari, when you click on 'File', the menu with 'New Window', 'New Tab', etc opens up. If you don't select any of them but simply move the mouse over to 'Edit', the Edit menu pops open with 'Undo', 'Redo', etc. I would like my Bookmarks Bar to work the same way.

So, for instance, say I have an entry on the Bookmarks Bar named 'Bank Stuff', with 'Bank 1 Link', 'Bank 2 Link' in it, and another bookmark entry named 'School stuff', with 'School 1 link' and 'School 2 link' in it. Currently, when I click on 'Bank Stuff', that menu pops up with 'Bank 1', 'Bank 2', etc. If I do the same as above (don't select anything, but move my mouse over 'School Stuff'), I would like the 'School Stuff' menu to pop up. It does not work that way - I have to click somewhere to make the 'Bank Stuff' menu go away, and then click again to display the 'School Stuff' menu.

I thought at one time the Bookmarks Bar worked the same way as the main menu bar, but maybe I'm just losing it. Or is there a setting somewhere so I can change this? I just downloaded Safari 5 and I don't see any difference.

Does anyone else have this issue or know what I'm talking about? How does the Bookmarks Bar work for you?

Thanks for any help.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Well you've obviously figured out how to group your bookmarks in folders in the bookmarks bar. I recommend adding those folders to the bookmarks menu instead. It's not exactly what your asking for, but you'll get a dropdown list of your folders, and you can view the contents of each without having to do unnecessary clicking.

I apologize for the Windows screen shot, but hopefully it illustrates what I mean.

Attached Files:

4. harry65 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input - I'll have to check these out.

5. Ritmo macrumors member

Ritmo

+1

The bookmarks menu is good in Windows, but the bar is just so much better in OS X. I would probably switch to safari if this thing worked, but now I have to stick with firefox.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You could also put them in folders within a single folder on the bookmarks bar. It'll work just like the menu then, but be in the bar where you're used to going.

jW