Safari Bookmarks on iPad issues

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Jsameds, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Jsameds macrumors 68030

So I got my Air 2 yesterday and I love it, but this is the first time I've used iOS 8 on an iPad, but I have a couple of issues with it Safari, specifically the bookmarks.

Firstly the Bookmarks menu button is now located on the left. Why did they change that? Muscle memory pulls me to the right, where it used to be but now they've shifted sides it throws me off.

Secondly, when you now select a bookmark from the bookmarks bar, the menu stays up instead of disappearing! This is so annoying! It's an extra tap to go to a bookmark. Why, Apple why?!

Is there any way to remedy either of these things? I use the bookmark menu a lot an it's infuriating me so much so I want to change browser.

2. crashoverride77, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Point 1) The bookmarks are now on the left in order to make it similar to safari on OS X. I quite like this change, most browsers have it on the left.

Point 2) not sure what point your are trying to make here. I like that the bookmarks bar stays open so I can open more websites or shared links, without having to open the bookmarks bar everytime.
    What do you use the bookmarks bar for? Favourite websites show by just clicking the search bar.
    I mainly use it for reading lists and shared links and as I said above I think it's good that it stays open. Having to reopen the bookmarks bars everytime while I'm trying to read 10-20 shared links would drive me nuts.
    Point 3) no remedies available unless you go for a new browser. Most people want the bookmarks bar to stay open, it's been like this with Safari on macs for ages.

PS. How is the air 2, mainly with performance and Safari stutter/lag? I'm getting mine next week:D

3. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

I agree OP. These changes are horrible, we should be able to change or turn off these so called "improved" changes in settings. Many have made posts complaining about these exact issues.

I used to love browsing on my iPad, now it seems like a chore.

4. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Meh

5. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

Not everyone has a Mac, some of us like our iPads to work like iPads. Without changes that make no sense or at least let us turn them off.

6. afsnyder macrumors 65816

That's incredibly lazy of you. You can't adapt to a button moving location? I'm genuinely curious to see how you handled iOS 6 > iOS 7.

7. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

It went from hitting bookmark icon on right side of address bar, then selecting your bookmark. Done.

Now you have to tap on the top of screen to get address bar to pop up, bookmark icon is now on left after it's been on right forever, annoying. Then tap on the bookmark icon, then tap bookmark. Then tap the top of screen again if it's disappeared. Then tap the bookmark icon again to make it disappear.

Call me lazy but it's way to many steps now. I stopped drinking the kook-aid long ago. And yes, I hate iOS 7 and 8.

8. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

So you are the one that decides what makes sense? Great. So in your world we still have UI design from 7-8 years ago.
    Moving the bookmarks bar to the right is the best thing they could have done.

9. crashoverride77, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

Great another one that likes ffingg iOS 6.
    If you are using the bookmarks button for bookmarks than you have other issues to worry about. Hint, try and click the search bar and see what happens. Every normal person wants the bookmarks menu to open on the left, not the right.
    You stopped drinking the Kool-aid a long time ago, yeah I never heard that before. Surprised you didn't mention isheep. Sales, reviews and costumer satisfaction doesn't lie.
    Go for Android and enjoy the beautiful world of OEMs, I'm sure they have some Kool-aid left for you. I especially recommend Samsung and their crap. At least they are the only Android OEM one not broke, so you might get some sort of costumer service and maybe even updates every year. Oh and I'm sure you will find some browser with the bookmarks menu on the right.

10. UTS macrumors member

UTS

11. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Going to chrome? Bookmarks there is much more of a pain. I would like it if the address bar disappeared, but the fav bar stayed, just at the top.

It was odd to get used to at first it being on the left. I kept hitting the option icon, but over that now after a few days.

12. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Why are you guys using the bookmarks menu to open bookmarks. Click the damn search bar or open links in a new tab.
    Have you people actually tried reading 5-10 shared links or reading lists in one go. If the bookmark bar closes every time it would drive everyone nuts, especially on iPads. People open more than 1 link at the time.

13. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

You seem to have issues. Lol so I'll stop engaging the crazy. Thanks for the tips though.

14. WilliePapers macrumors newbie

Some people just like complaining and making big issues out of nothing. Apple is a WHOLE lot smarter than any 1 complainer. In fact, their over 300 million iPad users and over 99% satisfaction is a WHOLE lot more important than any thousand whiners. So, enjoy it or don't. It's clearly the best option out and will be for some years. If you don't like the OS, tough. Beat it over to one of the many underperforming competitors if that's what you'd like to call em. My wife uses a surface for work, it isn't comparable to iPad. It is essentially a cheap laptop that doesn't feel comfy in your lap. It's cost and feature set is more comparable to the Mac Air which will run circles around it and is actually more mobile (lighter, thinner, faster). An iPad is the only product of its kind with a sea of wannabes. Android is laughable with its fragmented hardware, lack of support and disorganized updates. Good luck with those. How many apps are designed specifically for any one Android or Windows device. Oh yeah...back to reality.lol. iPad for the win.

15. Jsameds thread starter macrumors 68030

Wow so much for 'the customer is always right' oO

I love Apple but sticking up for them at every corner is just stupid. So much sympathising for Apple here, kinda leaves a sickly taste in my mouth seeing it.

I'm basically being told "You are wrong and Apple knows best" - well shove that! I came to the wrong place to ask, obviously.

Until it's fixed or there's a JB tweak to reverse it I'll be using Chrome.

16. WilliePapers, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

WilliePapers macrumors newbie

Safari Bookmarks on iPad issues

Now that's the spirit! Go with Chrome which is actually even more bloated than Safari. Here's the point I and I think other iOS users are making here. Apple's designers make changes to optimize their products based on information and a matrix that you wouldn't believe unless you see it so for them to respond to complaints about such small things as where an icon is place is absurd. Remember when the world said, "a phone with one button and no keyboard is stupid I'm sticking to my...", or or; "iPad? That's just a big iPhone so stupid" etc etc. People always have so much critical to say about things which is why their was a need for a company that dictates which kinda tools smart people needed vs wanted. Let's be honest, people generally don't know **** about what they need and are creatures of habit who resist change or innovation. People are still whining that iPad doesn't have removable storage or a bunch on archaic ports like the surface. There's a reason why apple is so successful in areas where their nearest competition is leap years behind and that's based in the fact they make, the world takes. Simple. Other companies pandor or clamor to appease every customer review resulting in a lack of direction and fragmented hardware like Windows, Android and all the other dead heads in the space. Apple has a clear and concise vision and direction that most users understand and welcome. They are moving towards a completely unified platform between OS X and ios8. It is the reason they sell the most tablets, phones, songs, apps, etc. One big, simple, efficient and cohesive ecosystem for those who enjoy simplicity.

At any rate, happy switch to chrome. Just don't be surprised if it is updated to mirror safari shortly. That's what apples competitors typically do anyway right?

17. LV426 macrumors 6502a

1. You will soon get over your muscle memory. It was actually slightly odd to have the bookmarks on the right to begin with.
    2. On my iPad Air 2 the bookmarks auto-hide when I use it in portrait mode. In landscape mode, the bookmarks use less of the screen as a percentage. In my opinion it's ok to keep them up in this orientation and – more often than not – useful.

I like the changes. Most of the time my screen is full of content. To navigate to a new site or search involves a fraction of a second's work on my part. And my favourite website icons are available in an instant. Good work, Apple.

18. crashoverride77, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

Your Welcome.
    Calling me crazy when you are the one saying, in an APPLE FORUM, that moving the bookmarks menu from the left to right makes no sense at all, what was apple thinking, I stopped drinking the Kool-Aid long time ago, I hate iOS 7 and 8 etc.
    Okay :rolleyes:

19. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

Get over it seriously. Move on, I have every right to think what I do about Apple or any other topic. Whether you like it or not. Get help for your issues.

20. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Your great