Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlyCat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Okay, I need some help, and I hope I provide all the information needed to get some answers.

I'm back home for winter break in Hawaii, but found that Safari on my macbook pro was showing me in California. Nowhere specific in CA, just CA in general. I did have a layover in CA on my way home and assumed that was the problem.

I then got a new macbook over break (for unrelated reasons, obviously) and had the same problem with Safari. It still thought I was in CA. I googled around a little, enabled location services (they weren't on yet, whoops), removed all website data and tried again, but google maps still thought I was in CA. I then clicked on the blue dot that takes you to your actual current location, and it found me in HI. I know that my computer should know where I am because of this, but when i removed website data and tried again it stuck me back in CA. I then tried on chrome, same issue. Maps knows where I am so I know it's not location services itself, but I think something is wrong when I use an internet browser?

As general info, I'm running mavericks on a 13" macbook pro. Safari is up to date so that won't help. If you need any more information to help I'll gladly provide. Also, any help you can provide is much appreciated!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Okay, I need some help, and I hope I provide all the information needed to get some answers.

I'm back home for winter break in Hawaii, but found that Safari on my macbook pro was showing me in California. Nowhere specific in CA, just CA in general. I did have a layover in CA on my way home and assumed that was the problem.

I then got a new macbook over break (for unrelated reasons, obviously) and had the same problem with Safari. It still thought I was in CA. I googled around a little, enabled location services (they weren't on yet, whoops), removed all website data and tried again, but google maps still thought I was in CA. I then clicked on the blue dot that takes you to your actual current location, and it found me in HI. I know that my computer should know where I am because of this, but when i removed website data and tried again it stuck me back in CA. I then tried on chrome, same issue. Maps knows where I am so I know it's not location services itself, but I think something is wrong when I use an internet browser?

As general info, I'm running mavericks on a 13" macbook pro. Safari is up to date so that won't help. If you need any more information to help I'll gladly provide. Also, any help you can provide is much appreciated!
I have seen this before myself. The most common cause is that you're connecting to the Internet through a proxy server - your location will be detected as that of the proxy server, instead.

AlyCat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
I don't feel like I am. How would I solve that? I'm not trying to connect through a proxy

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I don't feel like I am. How would I solve that? I'm not trying to connect through a proxy
Check your internet settings - make sure there isn't a proxy server set. This can be done in System Preferences.

If that fails to yield any leads, I'd chalk it up to geolocation weirdness, since it works fine if you explicitly ask for your location to be determined, and that's the case that matters most.

AlyCat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
I checked for proxies, and I don't have any set.

Is there a way for me to fix this geolocation error? It was wrong on both computers and it's not just on google maps but all location based websites (yelp, social networks, all that stuff)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.