Safari browser policy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ISV, Mar 25, 2009.

1. ISV macrumors newbie

New to this forum, I am looking for a "rule of thumb" policy which you might be aware of regarding upgrading from one Safari version to the next? Lets say, when Safari 4.0 becomes GA, what percentage of companies will move to 4.0 and what percentage will remain on 3.2 until 4.0 matures? What has the typical migration track record for new browser adoption been? I know that the answer might be "it depends" but just looking for managing product release cycles. Thanks for your help.

2. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

I'm no expert here, but in my job, I need to assess whether or not to recommend that patches are applied to customers who run our software.

We know that patches and updates can sometimes interfere with existing functionality (sometimes fixes will break something else, or will conflict with another component).

Basically, this means that I'm having to assess benefits (what bugs does the update fix and what added value does it give in better functionality) against risk (are the bugs in the release notes in conflict with mission-critical functionality (or "does it look a bit dodgy?")

I expect that managers looking at the roll-out of updated browser software go through the same decision process, but with the added level of security ("are my users more at risk of malware/system exploitation if I don't deploy this update)".

I don't imagine that Beta builds are ever deployed to users desktops - it's just too risky.