Safari brushed metal look?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GNice, Nov 18, 2007.

1. GNice macrumors 6502

Maybe it's just me, but does Safari's brushed metal treatment look a LOT darker than other apps?

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Whatever App is on top will be darker. If you put a finder window on top of Safari and then click on the desktop, both will be the same shade.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Brushed metal windows are the same shade in the foreground or background — one of the complaints against the appearance. Leopard does away with it altogether and the new unified appearance does indeed have a very noticeable light/dark difference between active and inactive windows.

4. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Although call me picky but im convinced they got it the wrong way round! Light windows should be active and Dark inactive! Everything else you do is that way round.. your screensaver darkens the screen when not in use... You turn off a light when not in a room..

But hey, im just nit-picking.. its not that important.

5. Veri macrumors 6502a

I imagine the UI people at Apple were trying to think like a landscape artist with the dark/light rule. However
    • A good artist seems to use this rule to focus his audience on, well, whatever is in focus, making it stand out in terms of detail/contrast. But in this case text/background contrast in active window is less than in inactive - making the inactive window title bars and toolbar text easier to read.
    • My desktop is not a landscape. It's nice when it looks nice, but never when that hinders usability.
    This is the only aesthetic change in Leopard that I felt the need to submit a bug report about, because it is an issue for those who benefit from high contrast desktops, and viewing a TN panel at a slight vertical angle exacerbates the problem.

If something's worth discussing from kernel source right up to colour of bikeshed, I'm happy to do so ;). The Mac is touted as a decent integrated system; since I'm using it, that's what I want it to be.