Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Can the user make access to this IndexedDB file in the ~/Library/Safari/Databases/ folder No Access only for Everyone via Get Info within macOS?

Does that make any difference? Obviously I'm expecting a ton of comments telling me I'm a dumb pie.

Just asking questions.

I'm currently not on any macOS with Safari 15 on it hence I can't test.

Edit .. I realize that I haven't thought it all through. I think this would render Safari more useless than it already is.

Artemis70

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
How nice of Apple to mark the issue as resolved when no updates have been pushed out by Apple that corrects the issue.
Interesting how FingerprintJS doesn't know how the bug reporting / solution system in GitHub works. They seem to be complaining that Apple didn't do this correctly, while that is how the system works.

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021
That is a completely different message then the spin “that apple said it was safe”. Ask Microsoft about rebooting domain controllers because Microsoft said their fix was “safe”.

And the support document is spot on.
Would you like me to edit my original post? I can change it from "Apple said it was safe" to "Apple said that keeping your software up to date was one of the most important things you can do to maintain your Apple product's security" if that'll make you feel better.

But in the end, it amounts to the same message. Apple tells its customers that keeping their devices current and up to date is the best way to keep them secure--yet in this case, the people who didn't update ended up being the more secure ones.

Artemis70

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
Would you like me to edit my original post? I can change it from "Apple said it was safe" to "Apple said that keeping your software up to date was one of the most important things you can do to maintain your Apple product's security" if that'll make you feel better.

But in the end, it amounts to the same message. Apple tells its customers that keeping their devices current and up to date is the best way to keep them secure--yet in this case, the people who didn't update ended up being the more secure ones.
Any time a serious security issue is introduced, the new version is worse than the previous one. But that is the exception. Most new versions are better than the previous one, at least from a security perspective. Apple's advice is no different from the advice from other vendors, and it is sound advice. But there are cases where the exception bites you bad. Btw, this issue is bad but it isn't the end of the world.

Reactions: Tagbert

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021
Any time a serious security issue is introduced, the new version is worse than the previous one. But that is the exception. Most new versions are better than the previous one, at least from a security perspective. Apple's advice is no different from the advice from other vendors, and it is sound advice. But there are cases where the exception bites you bad. Btw, this issue is bad but it isn't the end of the world.
I know. I just found it humorously ironic, that's all. lol

Reactions: Artemis70

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014

Well, one is accurate, and the other isn't?

And that would be… a third message.

SenorWhyMe

Suspended
Apr 1, 2021
and this is why I wish apple did their app updates within the app store not just ios updates , jesus apple can you get with the times

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021
Well, one is accurate, and the other isn't?
As far as expressing Apple's sentiment, they're both accurate. One is paraphrase for the sake of readability (most people do not like wordy things). The other is a direct quote from their website.

I can not help that some of you take these things so seriously that you demand quotes like we're under oath, testifying on the JFK assassination. Nor will I supply them just to make those types happy.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
As far as expressing Apple's sentiment, they're both accurate. One is paraphrase for the sake of readability (most people do not like wordy things). The other is a direct quote from their website.

Sure, if "they found the murderer" is a "paraphrase for the sake of readability" of "they found a suspect who may or may not have been in the vicinity at the given time".

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021
Sure, if "they found the murderer" is a "paraphrase for the sake of readability" of "they found a suspect who may or may not have been in the vicinity at the given time".
I have to be honest here: I'm having trouble discerning whether or not you're being serious right now. Go look at my original comment. See all those likes? Most people got the gist of it, which was my intent. If you didn't, I apologize. And if you did get it, yet still felt the need to take this much time out of your life to address the semantics of the word "safe"... I'm really, really sorry.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I have to be honest here: I'm having trouble discerning whether or not you're being serious right now.

I'm serious that "Apple said it was safe" is a disingenuous paraphrase.

What they are correct arguing is: it is, generally speaking, safer to keep yourself up-to-date. This new security issue appearing is the exception, not the norm.

Reactions: I7guy

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
There are those who are still on windows xp and windows 7. Zei gezunt. One does what one wants. My philosophy is to move forward. In today's interconnected environment I choose to update to have patched software and new functionality. But to each their own.
At this point, I’d need an influx of cash to replace my Macs, so I can update my iOS devices (which also need replacing at this point, thanks to iOS bloat and the poor battery of the iPhone 6s from day one).

Apple haven’t released a Mac I’m interested in, at a sane price. Certainly not a Mac that’ll have to be my last new purchase for at least ten years. I don’t want thermally-limited and/or all-in-one machines. Mac Pro is now insanely priced and they have no Apple displays.

Will see what comes in the next year... again.

??‍♂️

geneo

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2022
Your first three sentences seem to contradict each other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.