Safari Cache?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Clusty, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Clusty macrumors regular

Where is Safari 3 Cache stored? I can't find it...

2. Steel Wheels macrumors member

Steel Wheels

I believe its stored under /Users/yourusername/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari.

3. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

There's a cache.db file there, how do I open it?

4. Steel Wheels macrumors member

Steel Wheels

That i'm not sure about. I don't think you can browse your Safari internet cache the same way you could on a Windows machine.

5. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

Well, does anybody know how? This is very important..

6. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Why? If you're worried someone will find something incriminating in it just delete it.

Edit: It looks like an SQL file... I dunno. You could try opening it in an SQL editor.

7. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

No.. that's not it. I need to view my MacHeist serial numbers, but I'm not getting a response from MacHeist.

8. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Why are you editing your cache then?

Anyway... It is an SQL database. You can open it in MS Word (using "Recovery text from any file") takes forever to open though. A true SQL database management app would be much more efficient.

9. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

I never said I needed to edit it.. I'll try that but what should I look for?

10. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

OK. What are you trying to accomplish here? You're trying to get your MacHeist serials, right?
    Did you use the order lookup link?

11. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I've used that. No response.

12. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Their servers are probable getting slammed. You might have to wait a few hours.

13. frasus macrumors newbie

I just wondered if you managed to read what was in your cache

I have a similar problem we are using safari in Leopard OS I need to be able to read what I viewed on a website I know the date & time does anyone know if this is possible

Someone suggested cachediskinspector that would give me exactly what I need but it hasn't been updated to work with leopard

Just wondered if anyone had any advice/ideas for a non techie newbie to the site

14. toshnyc macrumors newbie

View Safari cache data

You can use BBEdit to search the cache.db file (in Leopard) for words/phrases/patterns. In Tiger, you can do a multi-file search in BBEdit to search the Safari cache folder (/Users/<user folder>/Library/Caches/Safari/). BBEdit has a great interface, is easy to use, and has great advanced features (such as grep).

You can also try opening the cache.db file in TextEdit or another text editor or word processor, or search through the file using grep in the Terminal.

These programs allow you to view and/or extract data from Safari cache data:
    Retrospective
    File Juicer
    HistoryHound

In my experience these programs were not able to find the information I needed, whereas BBEdit did find it because it searches and allows you to view ALL the data, even if what you're looking for won't display correctly in a web browser.

15. frasus macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for the reply
    Do you know if there is a trial version of BBedit - would gladly pay if I knew it would do what I needed but didn't want to waste money

have read about using grep in the terminal but don't know how to do this - any help appreciated - not a techie I'm afraid

have tried filejuicer & history hound but not really of use because I need to find what was on website at a particular moment - site is constantly changing

16. toshnyc macrumors newbie

17. frasus macrumors newbie

thanks for that, will try & let you know how we get on

18. frasus macrumors newbie

Thanks again for your help toshnyc

Have downloaded BBEdit & tried searching but can't seem to find the info we are searching for, it doesn't seem to be in the .db file

How do we use grep in terminal? Sorry not a techie

19. toshnyc macrumors newbie

Type this in Terminal (all on one line) and hit Return:
    grep -rin "phrase to search for" /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Replace the text between the quotes (phrase to search for) with whatever you want to search for.

20. Mac1Lord macrumors newbie

Hi everybody! I know that this post is pretty old... but may be some people will find interesting to know that SafariCacheExplorer may help to recuperate any cached file from Safari cache or any other Mac OS X cache.

Kind regards,
    Mac1Lord!

21. dotphracker macrumors newbie

Cache.db

If you wish to open cache.db you'd use the sqlite3 command. It comes with your mac and it's easy to use if you know SQL. Open Terminal > type in "cd ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari;sqlite3 cache.db". it'll open up the database and you can type ".tables" to show the table names <enter> then ".output FILENAME" <enter> then "select * from TABLENAME;" and it'll output to the desired file you could do "foo.txt" as the file name. I have three tables,cfurl_cache_blob_data, cfurl_cache_schema_version,
    cfurl_cache_response, in it so i did the steps three times starting with the .output command for three separate files. Maybe this will help you and future questions on cache.db even though this post is old.

22. x4vl macrumors newbie