Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aygwm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
I have an issue with my iPhone's Safari App. On certain websites, like MacRumors, if I click on a link on that page and go to a new page, THEN hit my back button, the MacRumors page is not the one I was looking at, but the cached version from several days ago. This results in having to reload the page from scratch in order to get the latest page. I find this occurrence about 1/3 of the time. Quiting Safari, resetting network prefs, or a hard reboot doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

ajarnfalang

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Sounds like a Network Provider issue to me. Not an iPhone 4 issue.

Works perfectly on mine.

I was on a network that did the same thing. If you updated something, say on a Blog, it wouldn't show up in your computer. Only about 20 minutes later would you see the change you made to your Blog.

I stopped it by using UltraSurf. Bypassing the network's server (probably the proxy) I could look at the changes immediately. So, it seems that I was looking at an old cached version and had to wait for the server to get a new version of the page.

You can post a link here and let me try it on my iPhone 4, since I am on a completely different network. I've never experienced this.

Last edited:

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
I experience this ALL THE TIME! My god it is annoying. It does it over wifi and 3G on my 4.1 iPhone 4. I'll read a Mac rumors post, and click back and then it will show me days old pages. Today at work, I clicked back and it brought me all the way back to the last 10.6.5 beta as my headlining story. Then you click reload and it's all good but it's a major pain in the ass. F U cache.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I think it's unlikely in this case to be a network issue, since mine and others do it regardless of 3G or wifi connectivity. It's also not a jailbreak issue (which was my first concern)--my friend's iPhone 4 and my husband's are both on stock firmware, and both are complaining about the exact same problem. Both of them are on 4.1, I'm on 4.0.

My old original iPhone running 3.1.3 and my iPad running 3.2.1 are both fine. So the question that springs to mind: is it strictly an iPhone 4 issue, or an iOS 4+ issue? And has anyone seen it happen on 4.2?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Has happened a LOT since I got my iPhone 4. Never happened on my iPhone 3G.

My most common version:

Look at blog on Monday.
Look at blog on Tuesday.
On Wednesday, hit reload, see Monday's entry again!
Hit reload again, now I see Wednesday's.

This happens a lot. It's like going back in time!

aygwm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Clarification

Just to clarify, I never had this problem with my original or 3GS. Just started on the iPhone 4. Here's a site that improperly caches every time on my phone:http://aaplnow.com/

I'd be curious to know if others have this problem on this site, as well as others. Thanks.

flightsimmer

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
O'Fallon, IL
I've had this problem time and time again, not only on my iPhone 4 but my 3GS (when I had updated to iOS4)... The only thing I've found to fix the issue is to close completely out of Safari (including killing the app in the background, or just restart the phone), then go into settings and clear the Safari cache. Once the cache has been cleared, try browsing again. This usually fixes it for a week or two, at the minimum. :D

And as an FYI, most of the time my issues involve blogs like Gizmodo or Engadget.

84jeepjohn

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
THANK GOD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!

Obviously me too. And it will do it over 3G and wifi. Nope not jail broken either. And it started with 4.1. It does it on forums and blogs ALL THE TIME. and forums are native pages. Blogs (gizmodo) are all mobile versions.

Please fix this annoying issue apple!

007bond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
DFW, Texas
phew. I thought I was crazy. Yes, I am having the same issue. About to update to the 4.2 GM, I will let you guys know if that fixes anything.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I've never had this issue, thankfully (knocks on wood), but have you all tried to clear the cache, cookies, and history?

Settings>Safari>Clear History/Cookies/Cache

Not sure but I would think to do all 3. Then restart the iPhone. Then give it a shot.

RaggieSoft

macrumors member
Having that too

Running an iPhone 3GS using iOS 4.1 - no jailbreak.

Doesn't matter if I'm using wifi or EDGE (I'm out in the sticks so no 3G for me). I've seen it while viewing MacRumors and especially so when viewing my area's newspaper

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.